Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cannabis?

1. Jan 24, 2004 #1
    I'd quite like ur oppinion on whether drugs should be shunned.

Cannabis in particlular.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2004 #2

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Part of the reason cannabis has remained illegal for recreational use is because of the wood, cotton and oil industries...if you legalize the plant for recreational use, all kinds of industries can utilize hemp for paper goods, clothing and fabrics, and the hemp seed can be used for fuel...

see this link with this amazing quote from our first president of the united states:
    "Make the most you can of the Indian Hemp seed and sow it everywhere."

4. Jan 25, 2004 #3
    I am ashamed to confess this, but I yesterday bought a piece of chocolate cannabis to a friend of work for 10 euros. It have been seven years since I didn't smoke cannabis, and 5 years since I didn't smoke at all, but I wanted to remember past experiences. So, I took my motorbike, and hid in a near mountain to smoke and think about the future. I am always thinking all the time in mathematical terms, trying to remember formulas and trying to reason things, but then after the smoking, I noticed that I wasn't able to reason and to develop ideas like always. I noticed my mind very blinded. Going back to home two policemen stopped me to ask me the documentation, they should have notice something strange in my face. They checked that it was right and let me go. Now I think that my experiences with cannabis have ended forever.
    I have never taken trash like cocaine, LSD or other things. I consider my capacity of reasoning the best thing that I have, and I don't want to lose it.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2004
  5. Jan 25, 2004 #4

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If that were true, why hasn't that industry taken off in the Netherlands? We could transport the product all over the world and almost have a monopoly.. should I send a telegram to the Queen and start a campaign? :wink:

6. Jan 25, 2004 #5
    Yea that would be cool, chewing Hemp paper would become quite popular in classrooms. Would you get high from the fumes given off by the fuel?

7. Jan 25, 2004 #6

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

how much of your land is used for farming, and how much cotton, paper and oil do you import? also monique, read my link and you will see the history of hemp, it was huge here in america from the 1700's to the early 20th century...

8. Jan 25, 2004 #7
    Then where are you going to grow the flowers?

9. Jan 25, 2004 #8
    From experiance, (Not hypocracy) YES!

(If you never start, you will never Need)

10. Jan 25, 2004 #9
    I have done it once or twice now and wont rule out taking it again but i will never take enough to get addicted to the stuff.

11. Jan 25, 2004 #10

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Holland is all agricultural, so lots of fields to grow the stuff. How much cotton, paper and oil we import? Why? anyway.. I guess it is more profitable to export flowers than raw material to make paper, especially with electronics taking over :wink:

12. Jan 25, 2004 #11
    Cannibis would never be legalized if I ran the world. I'd rather see speed become legal before cannibis. The main reason I feel this way is because I hate talking to people who are high. Smoking marijuana makes you a moron. Laughing at stupid stuff, can't answer a question. I've done every kind of drug there is, some of them 1000s of times, and if you looked at how my life is you'd never want to do drugs. I'm a homeless bum, I live behind the library in a sleeping bag. I've been stabbed in the neck over a bad drug deal. I have nothing and everything wrong with my life is a result of drugs. I haven't done any drugs in quite a while-about a year- but the damage to my life is already done.

13. Jan 25, 2004 #12

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

as far as i know, the united states exports a lot of paper products and cotton, thus that is where the profits currently are...if you grow hemp, it does not necessarily mean you are going to have the marijuana bud grow also, this is a common misunderstanding of the masses...the male plant does not have the THC rich flower, but still has the hemp fibers that could replace cotton (hemp is much stronger and durable, plus the first american flag was made from it)...where i live, hemp stores are popping up everywhere, unfortunately these shops also have smoking devices...having these products marketed with hemp clothing is not doing the true hemp industry any favors, only tying hemp with the illegal drug...

as far as medical marijuana, it's legal for certain patients, young and old where i live to have a prescription for it...you can't criticize it as medicine until you do the same for other pain relievers that people get hooked on (such as vicodin, a drug easily addictive)...marijuana is not physically addictive, but some can be mentally needy for it...

recently, a study was published of the similarities of the marijuana buzz to a runner's high...
    Runner's high / Marijuana high

the moral stigma that marijuana has is because the american government has made it illegal and their ads of portraying marijuana as a stupid drug has many convinced...of course, they don't do this with alcohol except for the drinking and driving aspects...but i have known people to do far stupider acts while intoxicated with alcohol then marijuana...

here is a situation that you need to evaluate it for yourself rather then listen to the almighty and "trustworthy" government...their intentions of keeping it illegal have nothing to do with your best interests, but in the best interests of money...

14. Jan 25, 2004 #13

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

no offense trib, but that's like saying a spoon causes obesity and guns cause crime...

15. Jan 25, 2004 #14
    Maybe I am, I screwed up my own life the drugs didn't do it for me. HOwever if I had never done drugs my life wouldnt be screwed up like it is.
    I won't try to force my morality on anyone, but I've seen enough things to convince me that drugs are bad news. I've pulled a knife out of my neck and bled to death on a dirty floor and the only reason for it was drug related.

16. Jan 25, 2004 #15

LURCH

Science Advisor

I agree with your reasoning, but I hold the opposite position; I believe these are excellent reasons to ban alchohaul, not legalize pot. But the main thought behind your position I agree with whole-heartedly; it is rediculous to have laws against pot in a land where alchohaul is legal. It's just a question of degree, alchohaul is by far the harder drug.

17. Jan 25, 2004 #16

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How about smoking, or gambling..

18. Jan 25, 2004 #17
    Personally the decriminalization of Cannibus should proceed towards legalisation of the drug, as it is way less socially damaging then alcohol.

In a recent ruling by the Supreme Court of Canada it was found/ruled that there was "No inherant right to smoke/use Cannibus", by the same token there is no inherant right of any government to remove, from it's citizens, the rights of Freedom of choice with respect to what they ingest (so long as it is not toxic to the immediacy or latency of suicide) unless the Government can show demonstrable evidence of the Social Harm that is being caused by the to be criminalized drug...these kinds of rules were not followed in the past....and, sadly, it is exactly because of the present Imposed regime of legality (respective of possession) that the very data that a government NEEDS, is lost, because the medical histories remain incomplete due to the unwillingness to have a user thrown in jail for simply admitting to being addicted, ergo incomplete medical pathologies concerning potential long term health effects which everyone would be/do better, forewarned of.

Personally, I wouldn't recomend alcohol either....had enough difficulties in my own life from that one, even though by God's grace I can have alcohol, now, without the cravings or loss of self control respective of putting the drink down, and walking away...couldn't do that, back then....can get real rough if you get addicted, really rough!

19. Jan 25, 2004 #18
    ya you were dealing with a drug dealer who had a criminal mentality. if it were legal you could have picked up your pot at a local smokeshop and not had to worry about any knife welding delinquents.

criminalizing victimless crimes only leads to providing criminals with more opportunities to victimize people, this main reason i think that drugs should be legal.

20. Jan 26, 2004 #19
    Ditto.

(even though I can say that "I don't think anyone should be trying them..." BECAUSE I have the personal experience that taught me what addiction(s) can do to someones life....not, "Do as I say, not as I do" more like, listen, please, to what I have learned, if you can accept that I am, truthfully, trying to assist/help you, then maybe you will/can spare yourself what I had to go through to know these things, but you too might find out, as you progress, in life, that we all need some sort of 'out' emotionally/physically/spiriually...just that 'Drugs' are one of the outs, ("simple, cheap, and easy"...NOT really!! thats the common "self deception") there are better ones then those...)

21. Jan 26, 2004 #20

hypnagogue

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think it should be legal. It is not physically addictive or especially physically harmful if taken responsibly. It's not desirable to be a pothead, but the converse is almost just as bad, in its own way: to never experience a new and interesting way to perceive the world, to be limited to two states of consciousness for the entirety of one's life ('everyday' waking consciousness and dreaming).

It's like banning people from visiting the Grand Canyon because there is the possibility one could fall and get hurt or die; rather than restrict people in this way, we should tell people what they can expect on their prospective journey, warn them of any risks and consequences, and then allow them to experience part of what nature has to offer them, if they so wish. Responsibility ultimately falls to the individual to take proper caution, given an informed perspective.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?