Can the cannibals and regular people safely cross the river?

• Thread starter cefarix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brain
In summary, the group of 3 cannibals and 3 non-cannibals must use a boat to cross a river. The boat can only carry 2 people at a time and cannot travel empty. If there are ever more cannibals on one side of the river than non-cannibals, they will lose. Through strategic planning and multiple trips, they can safely get everyone across the river without breaking the rule of having more cannibals than non-cannibals on either side at any given time.
cefarix
There's a boat to cross a river, and it can carry 2 people at once. There are 3 cannibals and 3, well, regular people on one side of the river. They want to get across. If there are more cannibals on one side than regular people, you lose. The boat cannot travel empty.
Have fun! :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org

Two canibals cross.
One cannibal takes the boat back.
Two cannibals cross.
One takes the boat back.
Two non-cannibals cross.
A cannibal and a non-cannibal take the boat back.
Two non-cannibals cross.
A cannibal takes the boat back.
Two cannibals cross.
A cannibal takes the boat back
Two cannibals cross.

sorry, should've mentioned that cannibals cannot pilot the boat

Answers

Get another boat.
Swim.

Can there be a canable on a side when no one else is there or do they start to eat them selves?

I must misunderstand the rules somehow..

C=Canibal c=Non-canibal

Initially, one C one c must cross. If two or one c cross the remaining will be eaten and zero c isn't an option (no one to use the boat). From there on, the c has to return (if he brought the C that'd be back to square one and nothing else is possible). One c from there would be back to previous state, two c would get the remaining c eaten and one c one C would get the traveling c eaten upon arival at the other side (which would then be two C one c). Unless we're talking some sort of wordplay like the one c staying in the boat with two C on the shore or something to that effect, it's impossible.

LarrrSDonald said:
I must misunderstand the rules somehow..

C=Canibal c=Non-canibal

Initially, one C one c must cross. If two or one c cross the remaining will be eaten and zero c isn't an option (no one to use the boat). From there on, the c has to return (if he brought the C that'd be back to square one and nothing else is possible). One c from there would be back to previous state, two c would get the remaining c eaten and one c one C would get the traveling c eaten upon arival at the other side (which would then be two C one c). Unless we're talking some sort of wordplay like the one c staying in the boat with two C on the shore or something to that effect, it's impossible.

Your answer is indeed correct. Congratulations. :approve:

hi friends, make the cannibal problem a little complicated. suppose, all the regular men can row the boat. and one out of three canibals can row the boat. the story remains same. now try!

kris

ckrishanu said:
hi friends, make the cannibal problem a little complicated. suppose, all the regular men can row the boat. and one out of three canibals can row the boat. the story remains same. now try!

ccCMMM.|
cMMM |.cC
cCMMM.|c
MMM |.ccC
CMMM.| cc
CM |. ccMM
CcMM.| cM
cM |. cCMM
ccMM.| CM
cc |.CMMM
ccC.| MMM
c |. cCMMM
cC.| cMMM
|.ccCMMM

Here is a brain teaser: What do i need to do to start my onw threads? I can't work it out. PLEASE help.

Tzar said:
Here is a brain teaser: What do i need to do to start my onw threads? I can't work it out. PLEASE help.

click on the green "new thread" button

Cheers, I'm such an idiot for not seeing it...

maybe i can help them solve thru visuals via this link: http://www.plastelina.net/games/game1.html

the logic game is called Cannibals and Missionaries :)

1. What is the "Cannibals brain teaser"?

The "Cannibals brain teaser" is a mathematical puzzle that involves a group of cannibals and missionaries trying to cross a river using a boat that can only hold a certain number of people at a time.

2. How does the "Cannibals brain teaser" work?

In the puzzle, there are three cannibals and three missionaries who need to cross a river. The boat can only hold a maximum of two people at a time. If at any point in the game there are more cannibals on one side of the river than missionaries, the cannibals will eat the missionaries and the game is over. The goal is to figure out how to successfully get all six people to the other side of the river without any of them being eaten.

3. What skills does the "Cannibals brain teaser" test?

The "Cannibals brain teaser" tests analytical thinking, problem-solving abilities, and critical reasoning skills. It also requires the player to think strategically and plan ahead in order to successfully solve the puzzle.

4. Are there different versions of the "Cannibals brain teaser"?

Yes, there are different versions of the "Cannibals brain teaser" that involve different numbers of cannibals and missionaries, and different constraints on the boat's capacity. Some versions may also have additional obstacles or rules, making the puzzle more challenging.

5. Why is the "Cannibals brain teaser" a popular puzzle?

The "Cannibals brain teaser" is a popular puzzle because it is both challenging and entertaining. It requires critical thinking and problem-solving skills, making it a great brain exercise. Additionally, the puzzle has multiple solutions, allowing for different approaches and strategies, making it a fun and engaging activity for people of all ages.