1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cannon math

1. Feb 19, 2008 #1
    I have a cannon that fires blocks of plaster of paris

what are the basic formulaes that i need in order to be able to calculate the angle in order to shoot a projectile a specified distance. I want to take as many variables into account such as air density and so forth (please give values) so that i can set up my cannon and shoot it into a target area

Is there any Formulaes and variables that i need to account for to do this

I am not asking anyone to do my math and physics for me i just want the basic stepping stones

Thanks Ski

PS I really love being able to figure out problems like these it makes me feel like an engineer and if i was not going into the Air Force as a Pararescueman I would consider a field like this

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2008 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Most people learn this when they study from University Physics, by Sears, Zemansky, & Young, the edition which includes mechanics, heat, & sound. You need to understand some simple Calculus, the intermediate level of Algebra, and some Trigonometry.

4. Feb 20, 2008 #3
    Obviously but i was wondering if i could get a few formulas and a couple explainations

I know of one way that I can do it quadraticaly but I dont understand the others

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook