Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cannon math

1. Feb 19, 2008 #1
    I have a cannon that fires blocks of plaster of paris

what are the basic formulaes that i need in order to be able to calculate the angle in order to shoot a projectile a specified distance. I want to take as many variables into account such as air density and so forth (please give values) so that i can set up my cannon and shoot it into a target area

Is there any Formulaes and variables that i need to account for to do this

I am not asking anyone to do my math and physics for me i just want the basic stepping stones

Thanks Ski

PS I really love being able to figure out problems like these it makes me feel like an engineer and if i was not going into the Air Force as a Pararescueman I would consider a field like this

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2008 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Most people learn this when they study from University Physics, by Sears, Zemansky, & Young, the edition which includes mechanics, heat, & sound. You need to understand some simple Calculus, the intermediate level of Algebra, and some Trigonometry.

4. Feb 20, 2008 #3
    Obviously but i was wondering if i could get a few formulas and a couple explainations

I know of one way that I can do it quadraticaly but I dont understand the others

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?