How Do You Calculate DeltaX in Projectile Motion?

• Thread starter DanielP
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cannon
In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving launching a metal ball through a hoop at a certain distance. The initial velocity of the ball, the height of the hoop, and the horizontal distance can be controlled. The person is seeking help with finding the final velocity and determining the correct placement of the hoop. Some calculations have been done and there is confusion about the accuracy of the results. The conversation ends with a suggestion to find the path of the projectile using displacement equations and solve for the desired y value to get two possible solutions for the x value.
DanielP
Hello fellow forum trolls,

I am currently pondering about this physics problem that was assigned to me on a day I was not in school and I have some confusion on the process in which to solve it.

Essentially we have to cannon out a metal ball through a hoop a certain distance away.

We know the initial velocity of the ball, The DeltaY of the hoop, and we have control over the DeltaX. To pass the project we must determine where to set the Hoop in respect to the launcher to get the ball through.

so far my data goes as follows

The launcher is at 30 degrees launching out at a velocity of 5.85

....X....Y
Vi...5.073 m/s...2.92 m/s
Vf...5.073 m/s
D......| .265m
a...0...-9.8 m/s^2
t

So my questions are,

For my final velocity of Y i got 3.711 but I feel that it doesn't seem write. I used the formula v^2=Vo^2+2a(DeltaY)

After that I cannot figure out how to find DeltaX

If you could point me in the write direction or help check my work that would be amazing.

Thanks for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
So delta Y is 0.265m?

It appears you took a as +9.8m/s^2 instead of -9.8m/s^2... when finding the final velocity...

What I'd do is first find the path of the projectile in the form y = f(x)...

You have your two displacement equations:

x = vocos(theta)*t

y = vosin(theta)*t - (1/2)gt^2

try to get an equation with just x and y... then plug in the y value you need and solve for x... you'll get 2 answers.

Hello there,

I would first like to commend you for taking on this physics problem and seeking help when needed. It is important to understand the concepts and equations involved in order to solve problems accurately.

To solve this problem, we can use the kinematic equations of motion. Since we know the initial velocity (Vi) and the acceleration (a), we can use the equation y = Vi*t + (1/2)*a*t^2 to find the final position in the y-direction (DeltaY).

Using the given data, we can plug in the values and solve for t. Once we have the value of t, we can use it to find the final velocity in the y-direction (Vf) using the equation Vf = Vi + a*t.

Now, to find DeltaX, we can use the equation x = Vi*t + (1/2)*a*t^2. Since we know the initial velocity (Vi) and the time (t), we can solve for DeltaX.

Remember to pay attention to the units when solving equations. In this case, the units for time should be in seconds (s) and the units for velocity should be in meters per second (m/s).

I hope this helps guide you in the right direction. If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to ask. Keep up the good work!

1. What is the cannon n hoops experiment?

The cannon n hoops experiment is a physics demonstration that illustrates the concept of projectile motion. It involves launching a small ball from a cannon through a series of hoops at different angles and velocities, showing how the ball's motion is affected by these factors.

2. How does the cannon n hoops experiment relate to deltaX?

The cannon n hoops experiment can be used to demonstrate the concept of delta, which represents a change in a physical quantity. In this case, delta x represents the change in the horizontal position of the ball as it moves through the hoops.

3. What is the significance of delta x in the cannon n hoops experiment?

Delta x is significant in the cannon n hoops experiment because it represents the displacement or change in position of the ball as it moves through the hoops. This allows us to understand how the ball's motion is affected by the angle and velocity at which it is launched.

4. How can the cannon n hoops experiment be used to study projectile motion?

The cannon n hoops experiment is a great way to study projectile motion because it allows for the manipulation of different variables such as angle and velocity, while also providing a visual representation of the ball's motion. By analyzing the changes in delta x as these variables are altered, we can better understand the concepts of projectile motion.

5. What are some real-world applications of the cannon n hoops experiment and delta x?

The cannon n hoops experiment and the concept of delta x have many real-world applications, such as in sports like basketball and baseball where projectile motion is involved. They can also be used in engineering and design to understand the trajectory of objects and how to optimize their motion. Additionally, they can help in understanding the motion of celestial bodies in space.