1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cannonball Projectile Motion

1. Sep 5, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A cannon has a launch speed of 500m/s and is aimed at a target 2.8km away.
    a. Write an equation for the maximum horizontal range of the cannon as a function of the launch angle theta.
    b. At what angle must the cannon be launched in order to hit the target?
    c. As viewed from above, how quickly does the cannonball's shadow move along the ground?
    d. How fast is the cannonball moving when it hits its target?

2. Relevant equations

D = vit+1/2at^2
    velocity formulas

Range of a projectile

3. The attempt at a solution

a. I used the range of a projectile motion and got v^2sin2(theta)/g but I dont know how to make it a function of the launch angle theta. Am I overreading?
    b. Im assuming you just plug in the values from the first formula you get.
    c. Just find the acceleration?
    d. Just find the vf?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

d= v^2sin2(theta)/g is a formula for the range as function of the launch angle (and constants). I used d= with d as range to make a formula out of your expression.
    Right.
    Why acceleration?
    There is an easier way, but that works as well.

4. Sep 5, 2013 #3
    Because it asks how quickly does the cannonball's shadow move along the ground so im assuming that means acceleration? Because its velocity is constantly changing so it can't be that

5. Sep 6, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

No, that certainly means velocity. The velocity of the shadow is not changing here if the sun is shining vertically.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted