Navigating Graduate Degree Programs in Aerospace Engineering

In summary, the speaker is an American citizen living in Europe who has decided to pursue a degree in Aerospace Engineering, specifically Astronautics. They have a BA in Business and Technology, but it is not directly transferable to a Master of Science degree. They are seeking advice on how to get into the MSc program without redoing their entire Bachelor's degree in Engineering. They are considering asking the prospective school for help or possibly completing an accelerated program, but are unsure of their options. Another person suggests that they may need to complete most of a Bachelor's degree in Engineering in order to be eligible for the MSc program.
Dan01
Hi,
I need some help with this. I am an american citizen living in Europe and have recently decided to go for my dreams. I've mulled the possibilities over and have settled on Aerospace Engineering. In particular Astronautics. There is an excellent degree program at ISAE in France that is exactly what I want to go for.
My problem however is this. I did my bachelors, 4 year, in Business and Technology. I only had maybe 3 engineering courses but they were the most interesting courses I took out of them all. My BA in Business and Technology is not directly transferrable to a masters of science degree so I was wondering if anybody had any advice on how to get into the MSc program without redoing the complete bachelors in Engineering. Is there some form of accelerated program I should be look at or should I ask the prospective school to help me find my way? I just don't know. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Dan01 said:
... should I ask the prospective school to help me find my way? I just don't know. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

yes. this is the only way you're going to find out for sure.

I think there is a lot more to the bachelor's in engineering that'll you need for the MSc than you realize. I don't think 3 engineering courses from a BA are going to cut, sorry to say. My guess is that you'd have to get most of the engineering BSc, ie 3-4 years studying at a university. I could be wrong, so go with option A, above.

As a fellow scientist, I can understand your excitement and determination to pursue your dream of studying aerospace engineering. It is great that you have identified a specific program at ISAE in France that aligns with your interests.

Regarding your concern about your background in business and technology, I would suggest reaching out to the admissions department at ISAE to discuss your options. They may be able to provide guidance on how to bridge the gap between your previous degree and the requirements for the MSc program in aerospace engineering. You could also inquire about any accelerated programs or prerequisite courses that may be available to help you meet the requirements for the program.

Additionally, you could consider reaching out to other universities or programs to see if they have any similar programs or options that could help you pursue your goals without having to redo your entire bachelor's degree. It may also be beneficial to connect with professionals in the aerospace engineering field to get their insights and advice on your situation.

Overall, it is important to be proactive and persistent in your pursuit of this degree. With determination and the right resources and support, I am confident that you can successfully navigate your way into the MSc program in aerospace engineering. Best of luck to you!

1. What is the difference between a Master's and a Ph.D. in Aerospace Engineering?

A Master's degree in Aerospace Engineering typically involves coursework and a research project, while a Ph.D. requires more independent research and a dissertation. A Ph.D. is also a longer program, usually taking 4-5 years compared to 1-2 years for a Master's degree.

2. What are the common admission requirements for graduate programs in Aerospace Engineering?

Most programs require applicants to have a Bachelor's degree in Aerospace Engineering or a related field, such as mechanical or electrical engineering. They may also require a minimum GPA, GRE scores, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose.

3. Can I pursue a graduate degree in Aerospace Engineering if my undergraduate degree is in a different field?

Yes, many graduate programs accept students from diverse backgrounds. However, you may be required to take some prerequisite courses in engineering before starting your graduate coursework.

4. How do I choose a specialization within Aerospace Engineering for my graduate studies?

It is important to research the different specializations within Aerospace Engineering and determine which aligns with your interests and career goals. You can also speak with professors and current graduate students in the field to gain insights and advice.

5. Are there opportunities for internships or research experiences during graduate studies in Aerospace Engineering?

Many graduate programs offer opportunities for students to participate in internships or research projects with industry partners. This can provide valuable hands-on experience and networking opportunities. Additionally, many universities have research labs where graduate students can assist in ongoing projects.