1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cannot make up my mind

1. Apr 19, 2006 #1
    I am struggling to decide on a major, and I have two years left. I want to go into computational linguistics and AI. I cannot decide between linguistics, mathematics, computer science, and cognitive science. I'm sure about cognitive science, with a concentration in computation and AI, but I don't think thats enough to get into a computational linguistics program. I'm three courses away from a mathematics degree, but I have only B's and C's in all my math courses, which I am guessing would not look good. I am 7 courses away from a BS in computer science, but I don't enjoy every class which I'm required to take. As for linguistics, 5 easy courses. What do I do?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2006 #2

J77

If you want to seriously get into AI as a career choice, I'd go for Maths - with emphasis on Discrete Maths.

I think it's best not to specilise too early and the Maths will give you a more solid foundation than CS with a bit of discrete maths taught on top - plus you can teach yourself the programming language/architecture side.

4. Apr 20, 2006 #3
    Math I think I'll defintely go with. As for programming, I know java, C, along with lisp/scheme, and I already have a minor in CS. But I love linguistics too and thats pretty easy for me I think. BTW, theres not many descrete math courses in our Math department. The only courses that come close to qualifying are modern algebra and probability theory.

5. Apr 20, 2006 #4

J77

Certainly probability would be helpful - Bayesian statistics and all that...

Can you do any graph theory courses, or logic programming?

And they must teach basic set theory in the core Math degree...

6. Apr 20, 2006 #5
    Logic programming and basic descrete maths are all taught in the CS department, I've had them. However there is also a course I'll be taking, Fundamentals of Computing Theory:
    Fundamentals of formal language theory, computation models and computability, the limits of computability and feasibility, and program verification.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?