1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cannot prove the DE is exact?

1. May 24, 2012 #1
    Cannot prove the DE is exact??

Hey guys Im looking at a non-linear first order DE. the problem is : (y^2)/2+2*y*exp^(x) +(y+exp^(x))dy/dx=exp^(-x) y(0)=1. I put everything on the same side: ((y^2)/2+2*y*exp^(x)-exp^(-x))dx+(y+exp^(x))dy=0. This equation is not exact so I use (My-Nx)/N and got a function of x alone that equaled 1. Put it into exp^(∫1dx)=exp^(x); took this and multiplied it my N and still M=(y^2)/2+2*y*exp^(x)-exp^(-x) and the "new" N=exp^(2*x)+y*exp^(x): and still My≠Nx. It is still not exact and i have no idea where to go from here???? help

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Re: Cannot prove the DE is exact??

Please use the template when posting here, and try to make your post easier to read. I did a little reformatting and clean-up for you.

You don't multiply N and not M by the integrating factor. You have to multiply both because you're multiplying the equation by the integrating factor.
    $$e^x\left(\frac{y^2}{2} + 2ye^x-e^{-x}\right)\,dx + e^x(y+e^x)\,dy = 0$$ If you check the new M and N in that equation, you'll find it's now exact.

4. May 25, 2012 #3

Yeap... that was a rookie mistake on my part. I do have another question: I have solved the problem down to the point where [itex]∂F/∂x[/itex]=(2ye2x+y2ex-2x)/2+A(y) and [itex]∂F/∂y[/itex]=ex(y+ex)→e2x+A'(y) am I correct in answering A'(y)=yex because it is the only variable of y in [itex]∂F/∂y[/itex] which i would then intergrate to find A(y)=(y2ex)/2 + C and put this back in the equation for [itex]∂F/∂x[/itex] and solve to the constant C?

5. May 26, 2012 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Can you show your work in more detail? I'm not sure what you're doing. Your expression for ##\partial F/\partial x## isn't correct, and I'm not sure where you got ##e^{2x}+A'(y)## from.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook