1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Canoe problem

1. Jan 28, 2009 #1
    I'm having trouble with this can anyone help me?
    Two canoeists in identical canoes exert the same effort paddling and hence maintain the same speed relative to the water. One paddles directly upstream (and moves upstream),
    whereas the other paddles directly down-stream. With downstream as the positive
    direction, an observer on shore determines the velocities of the two canoes to be −1.3 m/s
    and 2.9 m/s, respectively.
    What is the speed of the water relative toshore? Answer in units of m/s.

What is the speed of the first canoe relativeto the water? Answer in units of m/s.

What is the speed of the second canoe relative to the water? Answer in units of m/s.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2009 #2

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

Sounds like homework to me.

Have you drawn any diagrams? Made any attempt at the problem?

4. Jan 28, 2009 #3
    i got the speed of the water relative to the shore by adding the two numbers together and then divided by two to get the speed relative to the shore.
    what i don't understand is how you figure out the speeds of the canoes

5. Jan 28, 2009 #4
    would i subract the speed of the water from the velocities given in the original equation?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?