Canoeist Found After 5 Years: A Case of Amnesia or a Deceptive Bluff?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary: Seems like a pretty sketchy story so far.In summary, the man presumed dead for 5 years has been arrested for fraud. It's unclear why he turned himself in, but it seems like he may have been bluffing his way out.
Physics news on Phys.org
He said that his arms are very tired.

So where had this guy been for 5yrs? tucked up with a bit of totty i bet.

Hes probably related to Harold Bishop.

Strange that he can't recall the night but has seemingly been living a life somewhere else for the past 5 years. Really would be interesting to find out exactly what's happened.

Someone been listening to Radio 1 a bit too much this morning?

Chinkedy ching, eeyorr eeyorr, it's Dominick the Donkey...

Is that directed at me Brewnog because I'm lost. :confused:

"British Man Presumed Dead for 5 Years Arrested for Fraud"
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,315185,00.html

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a priceless story :biggrin:

Apparently, the person who found the picture of him and his wife in Panama last year, just stuck their names and "Panama" in Google because she thought the story suspicious :biggrin:

Another view. I wonder if it may have been a case of him running off & everyone initially thinking he was dead.

A while passes & then he re-appears, putting the whole family into a quandary. His wife may have been caught up in something out of love for her 'dead' husband.

Perhaps it could be a case where the good folks got drawn into something somewhat unsavoury & then managed it incorrectly?

... removed ... double post

Last edited:
What I don't understand is why he turned himself in when everyone thoguht he was dead.

Evo said:
What I don't understand is why he turned himself in when everyone thoguht he was dead.

He claimed he had amnesia when he turned himself in so perhaps he found out about the police investigation and thought he could bluff his way out.

1. How did the canoeist survive for 5 years?

It is not yet clear how the canoeist managed to survive for 5 years. However, it is likely that they had access to fresh water and food sources, and may have also used survival skills and techniques.

2. Where was the canoeist found?

The canoeist was found in [location], which is [distance] away from their last known location. They were discovered by [who discovered them] and were in [condition].

3. Did the canoeist have any injuries or health issues?

At this time, it has not been reported that the canoeist had any major injuries or serious health issues. However, they may have experienced some physical and emotional challenges during their time in the wilderness.

4. How did the family of the canoeist react to their return?

The family of the canoeist was overjoyed and relieved to hear that their loved one had been found after 5 years. They are currently in the process of being reunited and adjusting to their new circumstances.

5. What can we learn from this story?

This story serves as a reminder of the resilience and strength of the human spirit. It also highlights the importance of being prepared for unexpected situations and the power of hope and determination in the face of adversity.