Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stargazing Canon 300D in New Mexico

1. Jun 9, 2006 #1
    Here is a picture I took this past weekend while in New Mexico. This is a single shot from a Canon 300D mounted on Takahashi Sky Patrol camera mount,280 seconds, ISO 800.

IMG_0432small.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2006 #2

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's beautiful! My dream is to go out to the desert sometime and see the Milky Way with my own eyes.

4. Jun 10, 2006 #3
    A few years ago, I attended a conference in Hawaii. While there, I took a tour of the Keck Observatory on Mauna Kea. I had never imagined there were so many stars to be seen with the naked eye. That experience got me interested in Astronomy.

Here is another photo taken this past weekend. You can see the Andromeda Galaxy if you look just above the telescope in the picture.

433smallest.jpg

5. Jun 10, 2006 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow! Cool! (What more can I say?)

6. Jun 10, 2006 #5

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Truly awesome pics. Maybe we should have our next Sisterhood convention in New Mexico or Hawaii.

7. Jun 10, 2006 #6
    wow, that is a good picture :surprised . wish i could take pictures of the sky like that. The only thing that i can take a picture of with any success is the moon and a picture of orion but your picture is way better.

8. Jun 10, 2006 #7
    I would certainly show up for that one! The closest dark sky to me is in Moonbears neck of the woods. Spruce Knob, WV.

9. Jun 11, 2006 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Cool! I was just recently looking up info on Seneca Rocks, which is really close to there, as a possible weekend trip idea for the summer. That information now makes that an even more appealing idea. :cool:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook