1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Canonical definition of Angular Momentum, need help

1. Aug 14, 2015 #1

guv

Let's start with an arbitrary solid body rotating around a fixed axis of rotation with angular velocity ##\vec \omega## in the ## \hat z## direction. For simplicity, let's say the origin O is on the axis of rotation. Take a look at the picture I sketched in the next post. Tried my best to be clear about the notations I used in my derivation.

By definition, $$\vec L = \int_{\Omega} \vec r \times (dm \; \vec v) = \int_{\Omega} \vec r \times (\vec \omega \times \vec r) dm$$

Where ##\vec r## is is position position vector of dm from origin O and ##\Omega## is the domain of integration (the entire solid body).

If the angle between axis of rotation and position vector is ##\theta## (imagine ##\hat z## points upward from O, ##\vec r## points to the upper right from O), then
    $$\vec L = \int r^2 \omega sin(\theta) dm \hat L$$

where ##\hat L## is a unit vector from dm perpendicular from ##\vec r## (imagine this unit vector from dm going upper left from dm)

We can decompose this ##\hat L## into its z direction component and a radial component.
    $$\vec L = \int r^2 \omega sin^2\theta \hat z dm + \int r^2 \omega sin\theta cos\theta (-\hat p) dm$$

Here is ##\hat p## is a unit vector pointing outward from dm perpendicular to axis of rotation.

If ##\omega## is a constant, then
    $$\int r^2 \omega sin^2\theta \hat z dm = \omega \int r^2 sin^2\theta dm \hat z = I_{zz} \omega \hat z$$

This is the z component of the angular moment since the ##\vec \omega = (0, 0, \omega)##.

My problem is I couldn't really simply ##\int r^2 \omega sin\theta cos\theta (-\hat p) dm## into 0 when center of mass is on the axis of rotation. Can someone help? Thanks,

guv

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2015 #2

guv

4. Aug 15, 2015 #3

guv

The Center of Mass ##\vec R_{cm}## is defined by ##\int_{\Omega} (\vec r - \vec R_{cm}) \; dm \equiv 0##.

My question is inspired by the derivation in Louis Brand's "Vector Analysis" book, p.176-177 when the author jumps from eq. (2) to eq. (3). I couldn't complete this derivation.

5. Aug 15, 2015 #4
    Is the body rotating?? In that case doesn't sin[tex]\theta [/tex] and cos[tex]\theta [/tex] becomes sin pi/2 and cos pi/2??? so one of the trigonometric ratio becomes 0. Not sure though, gotta think. Better wait for someone else's reply.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook