Canonical Ensemble and potential energy

Summary: In summary, the conversation is about calculating the average potential energy for a diatomic gas in a specific volume and angular position. The first step is to calculate the canonical partition function for a single particle, and then use the definition of expected value to calculate the average potential energy for the whole system of N particles. This involves integrating over all N particles' coordinates and momentums.
Abigale
Hi guys :cry:,

I regard an ideal diatomic gas which is in a Volume x,z and got a angular [itex]\phi[/itex]:
[itex] 0 \le x \le L[/itex], [itex]~~~~~~~~~~~~ 0 \le z \le \infty[/itex], [itex] ~~~~~~~~~~~~0 \le \phi \le 2 \pi[/itex]

The hamiltonian for the single particle is:
[itex]~~~~~~H= \frac{p^{2}_{z} + p^{2}_{x} }{2M} + \frac{P^{2}_{\phi}}{2I}+mgz[/itex]
([itex]m[/itex] is the mass of a diatomic particle, [itex]g[/itex] the gravitational constant, [itex]p_{x,y,\phi}[/itex] are momentums and angular momentum.)

I am interessted in the average value of th potential energy! :redface:

At first i have callculated the canonical partition function for a single particle: [itex]\text{z}=\frac{-L^{2} N^{2} k^{3} T^{3} I }{\pi \hbar^{5}}[/itex]
The partition function for the whole system can be calculated by: [itex]Z=\frac{\text{z}^{N}}{N!}[/itex]
The average internal energy of the canonical System can be callculated with the formula: [itex]\bar{E}=(\frac{\partial \ln{Z}}{\partial \beta})[/itex].

But the problem is, I want to callculate the average of the potential energy.
There should be two capabilities of callculating it.

The one solution is with the average internal energy,
the other with the definition of the expected value.

With the definition of expected value, i can callculate the average potential energy of a single particle.

[itex]\bar{E}_{potential}= \frac{\int \int d^{3N} q ~ d^{3N} p ~~~ mgz~~ \exp{- \beta H(q,p) } }

{ \int \int d^{3N} q ~ d^{3N} p ~~~~~ \exp{- \beta H(q,p) }}

[/itex]

But i don't know how to callculate the average potential energy for the whole System of [itex]N[/itex] particles.

THX for your help
:smile:
Bye Abby

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi Abby,

First of all, great job on calculating the canonical partition function for a single particle! That's an important first step in understanding the thermodynamics of a system.

To calculate the average potential energy for the whole system, you can use the definition of expected value as you mentioned. The only difference is that instead of integrating over a single particle's coordinates and momentums, you will integrate over the coordinates and momentums of all N particles.

So the average potential energy for the whole system can be calculated as:

\bar{E}_{potential}= \frac{\int \int \cdots \int d^{3N} q ~ d^{3N} p ~~~ mgz~~ \exp{- \beta H(q,p) } }

{ \int \int \cdots \int d^{3N} q ~ d^{3N} p ~~~~~ \exp{- \beta H(q,p) }}

Where the integrals are taken over all N particles' coordinates and momentums.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the Canonical Ensemble?

The Canonical Ensemble is a statistical ensemble that describes a system in thermal equilibrium with a heat bath at a fixed temperature. It is used to model systems with a fixed number of particles in a constant volume and at a specific temperature.

2. What is the significance of potential energy in the Canonical Ensemble?

Potential energy is an important factor in the Canonical Ensemble as it contributes to the overall energy of the system. In this ensemble, the potential energy is used to calculate the partition function, which is used to determine the probability of a system being in a particular state.

3. How is the partition function related to the potential energy in the Canonical Ensemble?

The partition function in the Canonical Ensemble is a sum over all possible energy states, with each state weighted by the Boltzmann factor, which is dependent on the potential energy. Therefore, the partition function is directly related to the potential energy in the system.

4. How does the potential energy affect the behavior of the system in the Canonical Ensemble?

The potential energy plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of the system in the Canonical Ensemble. It affects the distribution of particles among different energy states and determines the overall energy of the system. Changes in potential energy can also lead to phase transitions and changes in the system's thermodynamic properties.

5. Can potential energy be directly measured in the Canonical Ensemble?

No, potential energy cannot be directly measured in the Canonical Ensemble as it is a statistical ensemble that describes the behavior of a system over many possible states. However, it can be calculated using theoretical models and simulations based on the system's macroscopic parameters such as temperature, volume, and number of particles.