Maximal Ideals under Canonical Ring Homomorphism: A/I to A

• Thread starter Dragonfall
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ring
In summary, f^-1 takes maximal ideals of A/I to maximal ideals of A because of the bijection between A and A/I that preserves subsets-ordering. This is provided that f is a bijection between ideals of A containing I and ideals of A/I, which can be shown using the fact that f induces a bijection between these ideals and preserves inclusion.
Dragonfall

Homework Statement

f:A->A/I is a ring homomorphism. Does f^-1 take maximal ideas of A/I to maximal ideals of A?

The Attempt at a Solution

I think it does, since there is a bijection between A and A/I preserving subsets-ordering. But f might not be that bijection.

Physics news on Phys.org
There's no bijection between R and R/I unless I is {0} ;)Are you supposed to prove this or do you just want to know?EDIT: Unless of course, R is infinite *blushes*

And even then, it won't always be the case.

Last edited:
I mean bijection between ideals of A/I and those of A containing I.

Yeah, that's right

So how do I use that to show that f^-1 takes maximal ideas of A/I to those of A?

Well if you're allowed to use the fact that f induces a bijection between the ideals of A containing I and the ideals of A/I that preserves inclusion, then that should be easy. Think about a maximal ideal [tex]M_{A}[/tex] containing [tex]f^{-1}(N_{A/I})[/tex] where [tex]N_{A/I}[/tex] is maximal in A/I.

Do you mean that f *is* a bijection between the ideals of A containing I and the ideas of A/I that preserves inclusion? Not sure what you meant by "induces". Do you mean defining g which acts on the power set of A, and g(x) is the image f(x)?

No because f isn't a map on the ideals! It's a map on elements of A onto cosets of I. I guess we were being a little sloppy earlier. You can think of it like that but formally, they are two distinct maps. It's common to abuse notation and write them the same however.

Ok, I think I got it. Thanks!

1. What is a canonical ring homomorphism?

A canonical ring homomorphism is a type of function between two mathematical structures called rings. It maps elements from one ring to another while preserving the algebraic structure of the rings.

2. How does a canonical ring homomorphism differ from other types of homomorphisms?

A canonical ring homomorphism is unique and follows a specific set of rules that ensure the preservation of the ring structure. Other types of homomorphisms may have different rules or may not be unique.

3. What is the purpose of a canonical ring homomorphism?

The purpose of a canonical ring homomorphism is to provide a way to compare and relate different mathematical structures that share similar properties. It can also be used to simplify complex structures and identify important properties of the rings.

4. How is a canonical ring homomorphism defined?

A canonical ring homomorphism is defined as a function that satisfies the properties of a homomorphism, which include preserving addition, multiplication, and the identity element, as well as the inverse of elements. It also maps the ring's unity to the other ring's unity.

5. What are some applications of canonical ring homomorphisms?

Canonical ring homomorphisms have applications in abstract algebra, algebraic geometry, and number theory. They are also used in cryptography and coding theory to analyze the properties of mathematical structures and create secure codes and ciphers.