Canonical Ring Homomorphism

1. 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    f:A->A/I is a ring homomorphism. Does f^-1 take maximal ideas of A/I to maximal ideals of A?

3. The attempt at a solution

I think it does, since there is a bijection between A and A/I preserving subsets-ordering. But f might not be that bijection.

2. jcsd
  3. There's no bijection between R and R/I unless I is {0} ;)

Are you supposed to prove this or do you just want to know?

EDIT: Unless of course, R is infinite *blushes*

And even then, it won't always be the case.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  4. I mean bijection between ideals of A/I and those of A containing I.

5. Yeah, that's right

6. So how do I use that to show that f^-1 takes maximal ideas of A/I to those of A?

7. Well if you're allowed to use the fact that f induces a bijection between the ideals of A containing I and the ideals of A/I that preserves inclusion, then that should be easy. Think about a maximal ideal [tex]M_{A}[/tex] containing [tex]f^{-1}(N_{A/I})[/tex] where [tex]N_{A/I}[/tex] is maximal in A/I.

8. Do you mean that f *is* a bijection between the ideals of A containing I and the ideas of A/I that preserves inclusion? Not sure what you meant by "induces". Do you mean defining g which acts on the power set of A, and g(x) is the image f(x)?

9. No because f isn't a map on the ideals! It's a map on elements of A onto cosets of I. I guess we were being a little sloppy earlier. You can think of it like that but formally, they are two distinct maps. It's common to abuse notation and write them the same however.

10. Ok, I think I got it. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook