1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Canonical Transform proof

1. Mar 3, 2012 #1
    Consider the following change of variables in phase space f: maps the reals and is smooth and invertable change of coordinates Q=f(q), q = f-1(Q). Given f, define a change of variables on phase space (q,p) -> (Q,P) by the pair of relations

Pj = (∇f-1)Tjk(f(q))pk

q runs from 1 to n

show that its canonical.

I know that for this to be canonical

(dQi/dqj)(q,p) = (dpj/dPi)(Q,P)

(dQi/dpj)(q,p) = -(dqj/dPi)(Q,P)

i'm having a couple problems, is f the generating function that i have to find explicitly?

Can i use the sympletic method such that MJM^T = J

what is the point of the transpose for the (∇f-1)Tjk part for? i thought f had to be symmetric.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2012 #2
    for Pj it can equal

=(∇f)T *-1jkqpk

but for that to be true then (∇f-1)Tjk has to be symmetric therefore the transpose dissapears

looking at my notes, i think this is supposed to be the associated point transformation in phase space
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  4. Mar 5, 2012 #3
    Guess i can answer my own question... i knew how to do it but i had an error in my notes

[dQ, dP)T = [{dQ/dq, dQ/dp}, {dP/dq, dP/dp}]*[dq, dp] = Mij*[dq, dp]

to prove its a canonical transformation

MJMT = J where J = [{0,I},{-I,0}] and T represents the transpose

If i do the matrix multiplication and say:

now i will let {a,b} where a and b are some arbitrary coordinates be the poisson brackets

MJMT = [(0,{Q,P}), (-{Q,P},0)]

It is known that {P,P} = 0 = {Q,Q} and {Q,P} = δij

Using the following vvvv

and there you have it
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?