1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Canonical transformation

1. Dec 31, 2005 #1

I need to solve the Hamiltonian of a one-dimensional system:

[tex]H(p, q) = p^2 + 3pq + q^2[/tex]

And I've been instructed to do so using a canonical transformation of the form:

[tex]p = P \cos{\theta} + Q \sin{\theta}[/tex]
    [tex]q = -P \sin{\theta} + Q \cos{\theta}[/tex]

And choosing the correct angle so as to the get the Hamiltonian of an harmonic oscillator.

Applying this transformation, I get:

[tex]H(P, Q) = P^2 + Q^2 - 3/2 (P^2 - Q^2) \sin{2 \theta} + 3 P Q \cos{2 \theta}[/tex]

And as far as I can see, no choice of angle will get me to an Hamiltonian of an harmonic oscillator.

Am I correct? Can someone please check my calculation?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2005 #2
    I got the same expression for H(P,Q) as you, and I can't see what angle would give a nice form either. You'd want to get something like

[tex]H(P,Q) = \frac{P^{2}}{2} + kQ^{2}[/tex]

from which you can then get the frequency from, but that would want [tex]\sin 2\theta = \frac{1}{3}[/tex] which isn't going to drop the 3PQ term you've got.
  4. Dec 31, 2005 #3

Science Advisor

All you need is to get [itex]\cos 2\theta=0[/itex]. So what about [itex]\theta=\pi/4[/itex]?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?