1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Canonical transformation

1. Oct 16, 2012 #1
    There's a part in my book that I don't understand. I have attached the part and it is basically about how to transform from a set of conjugate variables (q,p) to another (Q,P) while preserving the hamilton equations of motion. I dont understand what he means by q,Q being separately independent. Don't we seek transformation where Q is a function of q. Maybe I'm just not into what he means by this independency.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2012 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's true, but he means that for F q and Q are variables, so that there's no linear dependence between their time derivatives. Such a linear dependence would spoil his argument.

4. Oct 16, 2012 #3
    Please elaborate. If Q = Q(q,p,t) how is its time derivative independent of q? :(

5. Oct 17, 2012 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, what is said was that there is no linear dependence between [itex] \displaystyle{\dot{Q}} [/itex] and [itex] \displaystyle{\dot{q}} [/itex].

6. Oct 17, 2012 #5
    but dQ/dt = [itex]\partial[/itex]Q/[itex]\partial[/itex]q dq/dt + .....
    How is that not a relation between them?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook