Can Canonical Transformations Solve Velocity Dependent Potential Problems?

In summary, the person is asking for help with a homework problem involving the Hamiltonian formalism and finding a set of coordinates in which the momenta are constants. They have just learned about this topic and are excited about it. The responder explains that there is no easy way to find such a transformation and suggests approaching the problem through the Hamilton-Jacobi equation. They offer to help with a simple problem and encourage the person to come back with any questions. The person is grateful for the information.
QuantumDefect
Hello,
I've looked through a couple books on this subject and found the basic theory but none actually apply it to a problem. I was wondering if someone would be so kind as to maybe do a practice problem for me? The reason I say this is because I have a homework problem and have solved for the hamiltonian and the canonical equations however, I would like to find a new set of co-ordinates in which the momenta might be constants. In my problem I have a co-ordinate velocity dependant potential and would like to find the transformations in which the hamiltonian is a constant. Is this possible? I have just gotten into the Hamiltonian formalism and am extremely excited, more so when I first learned about lagrangian mechanics. Thank you so much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi QuantumDefect,

These methods are really cool, aren't they? I could do a problem for you, something simple like the harmonic oscillator. Such a problem is almost certainly worked in greater detail in your book, but if you're actually interested I could step you through it.

Unfortunately, there is no good way to just guess or figure out a canonical transformation that leaves the Hamiltonian independent of the coordinates. Is it possible? Sure. Is it easy to find? Almost never. A general approach starts from the Hamilton-Jacobi equation. The general approach says that the solution to the HJ equation (a non-linear differential equation) is the desired generator of the transformation. This method has the advantage of casting the problem in a form (differential equation) familiar to most physicists, but the problem is equally insoluable from an analytic point of view.

Without some details, I probably couldn't say much more. Feel free to post your problem and we can talk about it.

Thanks Physics Monkey!
Thats why none of the books took it into greater depth! I'll read up more on the Hamilton-Jacobi equation and if I have any questions, I'll come back. However, you answered my question and I am extremely grateful.Many thanks,

~QuantumDefect

1. What is a canonical transformation?

A canonical transformation is a mathematical transformation that preserves the Hamiltonian structure of a dynamical system. This means that the equations of motion and the Poisson bracket relations between the system's variables remain unchanged after the transformation.

2. Why are canonical transformations important?

Canonical transformations are important because they allow us to simplify the equations of motion for a dynamical system. They can also reveal symmetries and conserved quantities in the system, making it easier to analyze and understand.

3. What are the types of canonical transformations?

There are two types of canonical transformations: point transformations and generating function transformations. Point transformations are direct transformations of the variables, while generating function transformations involve introducing new variables and using a generating function to relate them to the original variables.

4. How do you determine if a transformation is canonical?

A transformation is canonical if it satisfies the canonical transformation equations, which are a set of conditions that must be satisfied for the transformation to preserve the Hamiltonian structure of a system. These equations involve the Hamiltonian, the old and new variables, and their corresponding moments.

5. What is the purpose of a generating function in a canonical transformation?

A generating function is used in a generating function transformation to relate the old and new variables, making it easier to determine if the transformation is canonical. It also allows us to express the transformation in a simpler form, making it easier to analyze and apply to different systems.