1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Canonical Transformations

1. Apr 5, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that x = 2qa/sin(T) and p = 2qa.cos(T) is a canonical transformation
    into new coordinates T and momentum q.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    It looks easy, I've tried matrix/jacobi method, and symplectic method. But these two seem to be not canonical. Am I missing something? The question doesn't give anything else. Do I have to find a generating function to prove that they are canonical? But then it'd would be silly, because the professor is very clear about these things. If he wanted to see a F generating function he would have said so.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2015 #2

MarcusAgrippa

Gold Member

Clue: do you have any theorems that provide necessary and sufficient conditions for a transformation to be canonical?

4. Apr 7, 2015 #3
    I re-correct myself, the prof. is an *******. He hadn't mentioned that we had to use a generating function. now I got it. thanks anyway.

5. Apr 7, 2015 #4

MarcusAgrippa

Gold Member

That's not nice. I'm sure your prof is a very nice fellow.

Incidentally, there are several different methods that you might have used to show that the given transformation is canonical.

6. Apr 7, 2015 #5
    Yeah not telling which method we "must" use is not nice either.
    Anyway after trying to do 3 hws each week, and spending a huge chunk of time,
    people can get mad. Also no need to be politically correct here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted