Why are E and gamma considered canonically conjugate in the Gauss law?

• I
  • Thread starter naima
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conjugate
In summary, the paper discusses the Gauss law and its form in a semisimple algebra, where the structure constants are skew symmetric in the indices. The author then explains how it can be rewritten using a conjugate pair of variables and provides the citation for the paper. There is also a mention of a constraint for each index.
naima
Gold Member
Hi PF
I read a paper in which Lewandowski writes:
the Gauss law has the form
##\partial E^a / \partial x^a + c_{jk}E^{aj}\gamma ^k_a = 0##
wherec are the structure constants
he then writes that if we are in a semisimple algebra they are skew symmetric in the indices and it can be rewritten as
##\partial E^a / \partial x^a - c^j_{k}E^{a}_j\gamma ^k_a = 0##
And he writes (that is my question):
"where NOW E and ##\gamma## are canonically conjugate".
Can you explain why?

Physics news on Phys.org
When reading a paper (presumably found online) it's a proof a courtesy to offer a link to that paper, so that any respondents could have the context of your question (the only Lewandowski I know plays for Bayern Muenchen :-))

naima said:
Hi PF
I read a paper in which Lewandowski writes:
the Gauss law has the form
##\partial E^a / \partial x^a + c_{jk}E^{aj}\gamma ^k_a = 0##
wherec are the structure constants
he then writes that if we are in a semisimple algebra they are skew symmetric in the indices and it can be rewritten as
##\partial E^a / \partial x^a - c^j_{k}E^{a}_j\gamma ^k_a = 0##
And he writes (that is my question):
"where NOW E and ##\gamma## are canonically conjugate".
Can you explain why?

Further to what Dexter have said, it would be more helpful, if you tell us, for example, why the structure constant carries two indices instead of three, the meaning of different indices, symbols, etc.
Any way, in any field theory with (compact) non-Abelian symmetry [itex]G[/itex], the conjugate pair [itex](\varphi^{A} , \pi_{A})[/itex], [itex]A = 1,2, \cdots , \mbox{dim}\left(\rho_{\varphi}(G)\right)[/itex], appear in (the Noether expression of) the generator [itex]Q_{a}[/itex] , [itex]a = 1, \cdots , \mbox{dim}(G)[/itex], of the infinitesimal symmetry transformation [tex]\delta_{a}\varphi^{A} = [Q_{a} , \varphi^{A}] = \left(T_{a}\right)^{A}{}_{B} \ \varphi^{B} ,[/tex] [tex][T_{a} , T_{b}] = C_{abc}T_{c} .[/tex] In Noether theorem, [itex]Q_{a}[/itex] is given by the integral [tex]Q_{a} = \int d^{3}\vec{x} \ J^{0}_{a}(x) = \int d^{3}\vec{x} \ \pi_{A}(x) \left(T_{a}\right)^{A}{}_{B} \ \varphi^{B}(x) , \ \ \ (1)[/tex] where [itex]J^{\mu}_{a}[/itex] is the conserved 4-vector Noether current.
For pure Yang-Mills theory, [itex]\mathcal{L} = - (1/4) F^{\mu\nu a}F_{\mu\nu}^{a}[/itex], the Noether current (corresponding to the global symmetry) is given by [tex]J^{\mu}_{a} = - C_{abc} F^{\mu\nu b}A^{c}_{\nu} ,[/tex] where the vector potential [itex]A^{a}_{\mu}[/itex] transforms in the adjoint representation [itex]C_{abc} = (T_{a})_{bc}[/itex]. Integrating the [itex]J^{0}_{a}[/itex] component, we obtain [tex]Q_{a} = - \int d^{3}\vec{x} \ F^{0j}_{b}\ \left(T_{a}\right)^{b}{}_{c} \ A^{c}_{j} .[/tex] Using, the definition of the non-Abelian electric field [itex]E^{j}_{b} = - F^{0j}{}_{b}[/itex], we get [tex]Q_{a} = \int d^{3}\vec{x} \ E^{j}_{b}(x) \ \left(T_{a}\right)^{b}{}_{c} \ A^{c}_{j}(x) . \ \ \ (2)[/tex] Comparing (2) with the generic form (1), we can identify the conjugate (Yang-Mills) pair with [itex]( A^{a}_{j} , E_{a}^{j})[/itex]. You can also arrive at the same construction, using the generator of local gauge symmetry, i.e., the integral form of Gauss’ law.

Last edited:
Likes dextercioby
I did not give the link because it is not free
It is "
Variations of the parallel propagator and holonomy operator and the Gauss
law constraint"
I do not think that everything must be free but this paper is sold by scammers!
You can buy these 10 pages for 30 dollars or read it for 4 dollars. But when you click on read it, they say choose 5 articles for 20 dollars.
Yes i forgot the third indice, sorry

The proper citation is Jerzy Lewandowski, Ezra T. Newman, and Carlo Rovell, Variations of the parallel propagator and holonomy operator and the Gauss law constraint, J. Math. Phys. 34, 4646 (1993) http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.530362

I do not think that the American Institute of Physics can be scalled "scammers." Anyway, most of those who can help you will have access to this paper through an institutional subscription. Please always give full references.

DrClaude said:
[...]
I do not think that the American Institute of Physics can be called "scammers." [...]

Well, if they ask you to pay 20 bucks to read five articles (4 you probably don't need), when you are offered to pay only 4 to read the one you need, it's almost a scam.

The i indice that i ommitted does not occur in a sum. there is a (4.2) constraint for each i.

1. What are canonically conjugate pairs?

Canonically conjugate pairs refer to a set of two variables or quantities that are related through a mathematical operation known as a canonical transformation. This transformation preserves the Hamiltonian, which is a measure of the total energy in a system, and allows for the description of a physical system in different coordinate systems.

2. What is the significance of canonically conjugate pairs in physics?

In physics, canonically conjugate pairs play a crucial role in the formulation of the Hamiltonian mechanics, which is a mathematical framework used to describe the behavior of a physical system. They also have applications in quantum mechanics, where they are used to describe the fundamental properties of particles such as position and momentum.

3. How are canonically conjugate pairs related to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know the exact values of certain pairs of physical quantities, such as position and momentum, simultaneously. Canonically conjugate pairs are related to this principle as they represent pairs of variables that have a similar relationship and cannot be measured with absolute precision at the same time.

4. Can any two variables be considered canonically conjugate pairs?

No, not all pairs of variables can be considered canonically conjugate pairs. In order for two variables to be canonically conjugate, they must satisfy certain mathematical conditions, such as being continuous, differentiable, and related through a symplectic transformation.

5. How are canonically conjugate pairs used in practical applications?

Canonically conjugate pairs are used in a wide range of practical applications, including but not limited to classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and optics. They are also used in the development of new technologies, such as quantum computing, where they are essential in understanding the behavior of quantum systems.