1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

CanSat Help - calculating its path without gps

1. Jun 17, 2012 #1
    Hi there

I am a Maths major student with little physics and engineering background. I'm a member of my university's space and astronomy club and we're building a CanSat as a project ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CanSat ).

I have been given the task of mapping the Cansat's coordinates without the use of gps. The idea is to use the onboard accelerometer, gyroscope and magnetometer to calculate the CanSat's acceleration and hence velocity and displacement. The CanSat will also have a gps onboard and the goal is to see how accurate we can keep track of its path

I'm not quite sure how this can be done though (ie what equations to use). It's not so straightforward as the accelerometer only gives the acceleration vector w.r.t the CanSat's axis and not the earth's (hence the gyro and magnetometer).

I was hoping someone could explain how this could be done or refer me to a link where I could read up on this

Thank you in advance

*Edit: After doing some research, I realize that what I need help with is actually called "Dead Reckoning"

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?