Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can't access google.com

1. Mar 14, 2012 #1
    Hi

for last month or so, I am not able to access google.com , I can access google.co.in
    The problem is not my ISP since I can access google.com from another laptop I have.
    I also noticed that while registering on utorrent forum, I can't register since I can't see
    the recaptcha. But I can see this recaptcha from my second laptop. I have this shareware
    anti spyware program called spyware doctor. When I ran the scan with it, it said that there
    is some website hack on my pc for google.com . Since its shareware program, it won't rectify
    the problem. When I ran the scan through another free program I have (spybot search and
    destroy), it didn't identify any such website hack for google.com. I have cleared all the
    cookies from my chrome browser, but the problem is still there. I can't access google.com and
    can't see recaptcha on the utorrent forum site. I also noticed another behavior of my chrome
    browser. When I click some website through google.co.in searches, the 'back' button in
    my chrome browser becomes inactive. This doesn't happen for all the sites. Only sometimes.
    So please suggest some soln.

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2012 #2
    I have recently started having the same problem. I got some Malware on my laptop and afterwards started having random issues with google. Anytime I do a search on google and then click on one of the results I am taken to some other random website and then cannot click "back" to the search results. Now, I can't get to google.com at all, but gmail still works. Every time we run a scan of my laptop it no issues were found. Did you ever figure out how to solve it?
    Thanks

4. Mar 28, 2012 #3
    Hi I solved the problem. The problem was with the file "hosts" in the C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc. I use win xp. You have to edit the file. Follow directions at http://www.dslreports.com/faq/10131

Edit: As suggested on the above website, I installed free software HostsXpert and added # in front of last two lines which forbid the pc to access google.com and bing.com . I think
    you can as well delete those lines and it should work

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      54.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook