Cant determine vrms, even though equations are all correct.

• Thread starter jenzao
  • Start date
  • Tags
    even
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the root mean square speed of oxygen molecules in a syringe that has been used and is now empty on a doctor's desk. The pressure in the office is given as 100,000 Pa and the air is assumed to be an ideal gas with 80% nitrogen and 20% oxygen. The syringe needs to be heated to high temperatures for sterilization and when it reaches its maximum temperature, the number of oxygen molecules is 6.5 x 1019, while the pressure, volume, and percent oxygen remain the same. The equation used to calculate the root mean square speed is vrms = root 3kT/m, where k is Boltzmann's constant and T
jenzao

Homework Statement

A syringe of volume 20 ml has just been used and now lies empty on the doctor's desk. The pressure in the office is 100,000 Pa. Assume that the air is an ideal gas consisting of nitrogen N2 (80%) and oxygen O2 (20%) molecules. k=1.38×10-23 J/K and the molar mass of oxygen is 32 g/mol.

The syringe must be heated to high temperatures to sterilize it. When the syringe is at its maximum temperature, the number of oxygen molecules is 6.5 x 1019 (but the pressure, volume, and percent oxygen remain the same), what is the rms speed of the oxygen molecules?

Homework Equations

vrms = root 3kT/m

The Attempt at a Solution

i know its the equation above that gets me vrms, so i just need T and m
PV-=NkT
T is 445.9K (using T= PV/Nk)
and m is 5.31e-23g (from m = 32g/6.022e23)

so using vrms = root3kT/m i get 18.645m/s

but this is wrong for some reason.. plaease help thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
For the value of Boltzmann's constant given, the mass needs to be in kilograms. That way the units on either side will be equal.

Thank you. That solved the problem. UNITS!

1. Why am I unable to determine the VRMS even though I have checked all my equations?

There could be several reasons for this. One possibility is that your equations are not taking into account all the relevant factors or assumptions. Another possibility is that there may be errors or inconsistencies in your calculations. It is important to carefully review and double-check your equations and calculations to ensure their accuracy.

2. How can I verify the accuracy of my equations when determining VRMS?

One way to verify the accuracy of your equations is to compare your results with known values or experimental data. If your results are significantly different, there may be errors in your equations or calculations. Another approach is to use more than one set of equations to determine VRMS and compare the results to see if they are consistent.

3. Is there a particular equation or method that is commonly used to determine VRMS?

Yes, the most commonly used equation for determining VRMS is the root mean square (RMS) equation, which takes into account the square of the instantaneous values of voltage over a given time period. However, depending on the specific circumstances, different equations or methods may be more appropriate.

4. Can external factors affect the determination of VRMS?

Yes, external factors such as noise, interference, or fluctuations in the power supply can affect the accuracy of VRMS calculations. It is important to minimize these external factors and ensure a stable and consistent power supply when determining VRMS.

5. Are there any common mistakes or pitfalls when determining VRMS?

Some common mistakes or pitfalls when determining VRMS include not properly accounting for all relevant factors, using incorrect or inconsistent units, and data entry errors. It is important to carefully review and double-check all equations and calculations to avoid these mistakes.