Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can't edit posts!

1. Apr 17, 2008 #1
    Hey All,

I've just written a thread on vector tutorials. I want to go back and edit a post and put in some questions for people to answer, with some answers but I can't!!

_Mayday_

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2008 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The editing period has been shortened to 30 minutes. If you wish to make some changes to a tutorial, then PM a mentor, or hit the "report post" button with the changes you want making.

4. Apr 17, 2008 #3
    Sorry, let me rephrase, there isn't the option or button to let me edit!

5. Apr 17, 2008 #4
    Whats the editing period?

6. Apr 17, 2008 #5

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The editing period is the time in which you are permitted to edit your posts, after submission.

7. Apr 17, 2008 #6
    Was there a reason for that? I am sure there was, the problem for me is that if I want to add to my tutorial, I'm going to need to keep bugging mods. I'll try my best to update it in bulk.

Thanks Cristo

8. Apr 17, 2008 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Some people were mis-using the edit function. Just make your corrections then pm the update to a mentor with a link to the thread, or you can copy the updates into a new post in the same thread and then just let a mentor know to delete the prior post.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  9. Apr 17, 2008 #8

Danger

Gold Member

You need to PM a Mentor, Evo; there's a typo in your post.

10. Apr 17, 2008 #9

Evo

:rofl:

11. Apr 17, 2008 #10
    EDIT IT!! :rofl:

I can understand why it has been done actually, I have seen cases where people just delete their initial post and then the thread loses any value.

12. Apr 17, 2008 #11

Evo

Hey, you don't want me editing it, I don't understand it. Now words I'd feel safe with. I saw Astronuc prowling around in reported posts, I am assuming he will do the edit.

Oh well he left without seeing it I guess.

Go check out what I did.

BTW, that's beautiful!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  13. Apr 17, 2008 #12

Astronuc

Looks good _Mayday_! Good job. I took care of a few more edits.

Let us know how you want it edited, and we'll take care of it. Just PM one of the mentors.

Also superscripts can be done with tags [ /sup] and subscripts with [ /sub] (just deleted space before /), just the way bold, italic and underline are done, i.e. it's not necssary to use tex.

14. Apr 17, 2008 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's exactly why it was done. It was getting to be a more and more common problem, so we had to shorten the edit time.

For editing tutorials, go ahead and just make the changes in new posts (you can quote your post and remove the quote tags if that makes it easier for you to make the changes). When you're satisfied with the version you have, report the post that is the version you want to keep as the final version, and we'll do the magic to move it where it belongs. I would just put a header on your other posts indicating they are edits in progress so folks don't get confused while you're working on it.

15. Apr 17, 2008 #14

Astronuc

I would recommend anyone doing a lengthy post to use a good text editor, e.g. TextPad.

One can then post and then do a post review. In some cases, spell check might help. If it doesn't look good, one can cancel the post (hit back button on browser) and do additional edit.

It also helps to retain an electronic copy of the post.

16. Apr 17, 2008 #15

Danger

Gold Member

I can definitely understand why the period was shortened. Aside from the 'missing original post', I've seen people go back and change something that they said in a debate in order to appear correct.
    My only problem with it is purely a matter of egotism. Every once in a while a typo slips by unnoticed until it's too late. I'm not about to pester a Mentor about fixing something like that (unless it changes the meaning of the post). I just assume that people reading will realize that it's (usually :uhh:) bad typing rather than stupidity.

17. Apr 17, 2008 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, we all make typos. We figured a half hour was plenty long enough to read through after hitting the submit button and catch any major mistakes, or to add in an afterthought on something. After that, it hardly matters...if the typo is obvious and bad enough, someone will have already quoted it to laugh at it if it's a funny one. If it's just a small mistake somewhere, we all make those and nobody is going to get in a tizzy about it.

18. Apr 17, 2008 #17

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How long was the editing period previously?

19. Apr 18, 2008 #18

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

24 hours :yuck:

20. Apr 18, 2008 #19

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi Mayday,

I have a couple of comments regarding your tutorial. Would you like them in the thread itself, here or via PM?

21. Apr 18, 2008 #20
    PM please!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?