• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Can't evaluate the Integral

• Thread starter romeIAM
  • Start date

Homework Statement

∫x2(√2+x)

Homework Equations

∫f(x) from a to b = f'(b) - f'(a)
and substitution rule

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I decided to make u=√(2+x), du= 1/2√(2+x) and when solving dx, i got dx= 2√(2+x) du. Substituting and then simplifying, I managed to get ∫2(x^2)u^2 du. But i can't go further from there. i can't find a way to get rid of the x2, I didn't get far using u= x2 or u=x+2 so I'm pretty sure i'm using the right substitution. I need help.

Answers and Replies

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

∫x2(√2+x)

Homework Equations

∫f(x) from a to b = f'(b) - f'(a)
and substitution rule

[/B]
I decided to make u=√(2+x), du= 1/2√(2+x) and when solving dx, i got dx= 2√(2+x) du. Substituting and then simplifying, I managed to get ∫2(x^2)u^2 du. But i can't go further from there. i can't find a way to get rid of the x2, I didn't get far using u= x2 or u=x+2 so I'm pretty sure i'm using the right substitution. I need help.
Try making u=2+x. Then x=u-2. So x^2=(u-2)^2. Take it from there.

I managed to get ∫2(x^2)u^2 du.
When you do a substitution, do a complete substitution. In this case, neither x nor dx should appear after you make the substitution.

Also, in your original integral, you omitted dx. It's not a good habit to get into to ignore the differential. Doing so will come back to bite you in other integration techniques, including trig substitution and integration by parts.

ehild
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

∫x2(√2+x)

[/B]
I decided to make u=√(2+x), du= 1/2√(2+x) here. i can't find a way to get rid of the x2, I didn't get far using u= x2 or u=x+2 so I'm pretty sure i'm using the right substitution. I need help.
No need to substitute. Just expand the integrand, and integrate the sum by terms.