Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can't figure out integral question

1. Mar 19, 2006 #1
    what is the proper method for finding the average of an integral? For example, the question I'm trying to answer is this:

"Find the average value of the function f(x) = 4 - x² over the interval [-2, 2]."

Now the answer is suppost to be 8/3. But I keep getting an answer of -11/3 no matter what I do. WTF!?!?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2006 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

f is nonnegative on the interval [-2,2], so how can the average possibly be negative?

4. Mar 19, 2006 #3
    Well, what did you do to get -11/3?

The function you are given here is [tex]\geq 0[/tex] in [-2,2]. This makes things quite a lot easier.
    By integration you can find out the area under the curve. When you say you'd like to know the average value, it means this: replace the function by a constant one that has the same area under its curve (this time it must be a rectangle).
    I hope it's clear now.
    Best regards

Cliowa

5. Mar 19, 2006 #4
    How did you get -11/3? Are you sure you integrated the function correctly?

6. Mar 19, 2006 #5
    Greetings Flatland:

For any continuous function, f(x), on the interval [a,b], the average value of f on that interval is given by:

f_ave = 1/(b-a) * Integral f(x) dx ; [a,b]. So, in the present case,

f_ave = 1/(2+2) * Integral (4 - x^2) dx; [-2,2]
    = (1/4)(4x - (1/3) x^3) = (x/12)(12 - x^2); [-2,2]
    = (1/6)(12-4) - (-1/6)(12-4)
    = (1/6)(8+8)
    = 8/3

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Rich B.

7. Mar 19, 2006 #6
    nvm I figured out what I did wrong thx

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?