1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can't figure out simple math problem

1. Mar 7, 2015 #1
    I can't figure out how to calculate the number of people who can't be seated. For those who can be seated I simply did 963/8=120.4

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I moved the thread to the homework section.

How do .4 persons look like?
    Without further details, that problem statement looks really odd. Are we supposed to fill every pavilion with the same number of persons (why??)? If yes, there is a reasonable answer, but then the problem statement should make that clear.

4. Mar 7, 2015 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If we assume that the same number of people must be seated in each pavilion (which is not said and really doesn't make much sense), then the number of number of people that can be seated in each pavilion is 963/8. 8 divides 963 120 times with 963- 8(120) people left over.

(By the way, 963/8 is NOT "120.4". It is 120.375. The difference is important to this problem.)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2015
  5. Mar 7, 2015 #4
    Hallsoflvy, does that mean 3 people can't be seated?

6. Mar 7, 2015 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

With this additional assumption, yes.

7. Mar 7, 2015 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

@t3rom: What is it about this problem that prevented you from stating it here rather than posting an image of it?

8. Mar 8, 2015 #7
    Thanks!

I'm posting from a cellphone, that's the best way I could post it.

9. Mar 8, 2015 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

My point about 963 divided by 8 being 120.375 rather than 120.4 was that 0.375 is 3 eighths. I am puzzled at your difficulty here, you realized that 8 divides into 963 120 with quotient 120 and remainder 3, didn't you? Or does no one learn how to divide without using a calculator any more?

10. Mar 8, 2015 #9

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Well, I wouldn't say it was the best way. It was the easiest way for you to post it. Perhaps next time you should post from a computer it you're too lazy to type a few sentences into a cell phone.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted