What is the magnitude of the velocity vector at time t = 8.3 s?

• Thread starter SMS
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Figure
In summary, the particle's position vector in the x-y plane is given by d = 2.2 m x + 8.2 m y with a constant acceleration of a = 4.5 m/s2 x + 2.2 m/s2 y. At time t = 0 s, the velocity vector is v = 3.3 m/s x - 4.3 m/s y. To find the magnitude of the velocity vector at time t = 8.3 s, we use the formula v(t)=\sqrt{v_x(t)^2+v_y^2(t)} and calculate it using the given information.
SMS
A particle moves in the x-y plane with constant acceleration. At time t = 0 s, the position vector for the particle is d = 2.2 m x + 8.2 m y. The acceleration is given by the vector a = 4.5 m/s2 x + 2.2 m/s2 y. The velocity vector at time t = 0 s is v = 3.3 m/s x - 4.3 m/s y. Find the magnitude of the velocity vector at time t = 8.3 s.

I never liked vectors :mad:

Physics news on Phys.org
SMS said:
I never liked vectors :mad:
No man. Change that attitude. Vectors are like, totally awesome :cool:
You'll appreciate them when you take linear algebra.

Anyway, simply view this problem as two one-dimensional problems.
The x- and y coordinates are independent.
Since the acceleration is constant, the formula for the speed as a function of time is:
[tex]v_x(t)=v_{x0}+a_xt[/tex]
And a similar equation for [itex]v_y(t)[/itex].

You can calculate
[tex]v(t)=\sqrt{v_x(t)^2+v_y^2(t)}[/tex]
with this.

Galileo said:
No man. Change that attitude. Vectors are like, totally awesome :cool:
You'll appreciate them when you take linear algebra.
No, they start rocking when taking physics :wink:

U guys are right

Vectors don"t suck. I think I was just frustrated with the rest of my work.

I am taking physics and that was a physics problem.

Any ways I got all the answers right on CAPA, so everything rocks! :tongue:

Time to :zzz: :zzz:

1. Why can't I figure this out?

Figuring out complex problems or concepts can be challenging and take time. It could be due to a lack of understanding, missing information, or not approaching the problem correctly. Don't get discouraged and try breaking the problem down into smaller parts or seeking help from others.

2. What should I do if I can't figure this out on my own?

It's always helpful to seek assistance from others, whether it's a colleague, mentor, or teacher. They may have a different perspective or approach that can help you understand the problem better. Additionally, there are many online resources and forums where you can ask for help and receive guidance from experts.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

Problem-solving skills can be improved by practicing regularly and challenging yourself with new and difficult problems. It's also important to have a systematic approach to problem-solving, such as breaking the problem down into smaller steps and using logical reasoning.

4. Is it normal to struggle with figuring things out?

Yes, it is completely normal to struggle with complex problems or concepts. Everyone learns at their own pace and in their own way. Don't compare yourself to others and remember that struggling and making mistakes is a natural part of the learning process.

5. How can I stay motivated when I can't figure this out?

It can be frustrating and demotivating when you can't figure something out, but it's important to stay positive and determined. Take breaks when needed, set achievable goals, and remind yourself of the progress you've made so far. Seeking support from others and celebrating small victories can also help keep you motivated.