"Can't Find Limit Problem: \lim_{x \rightarrow 0}

• Thread starter honestrosewater
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the problem is to find the limit of \frac{\frac{1}{x + 1} - 1}{x} as x approaches 0. The solution involves using the fact that both g(x) = 1/(x+1) - 1 and h(x) = x are continuous, but f(x) has a hole at x = 0. Factoring and using l'Hôpital's rule, we can find that the limit is -1. However, for the purposes of the test, only the methods taught in the book can be used.
honestrosewater
Gold Member
Problem
Find the limit.

[tex]
\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\frac{1}{x + 1} - 1}{x}
[/tex]

My attempt
I'm totally stuck. domain(f) = R - {0}. Setting g: R - {-1} --> R, g(x) = 1/(x+1) - 1 and h: R --> R, h(x) = x, g and h are both continuous, but g(0) = 0 and h(0) = 0. It looks like f(0) is just a hole. Perhaps I will try factoring again. My book says the limit is -1, but I don't see how it expects me to find it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi honestrosewater! :smile:

erm :redface:

what's 1/(x+1) - 1 ? :wink:

( alternatively, use l'Hôpital's rule )

tiny-tim said:
what's 1/(x+1) - 1 ?
1/(x + 1) - 1 = -x/(x+1)? Does that help me somehow? Sorry, I am sure it's something simple, but I cannot see it. Oh... right.

[tex]\left(\frac{-x}{x + 1}\right)\left(\frac{1}{x}\right) = \frac{-1}{x + 1} = g(x)
[/tex]

g is continuous and x != 0 implies g(x) = f(x), so lim(x --> 0) f(0) = lim(x --> 0) g(0) = -1. Hah.

alternatively, use l'Hôpital's rule
Thanks for this tip. I will remember it later. Unfortunately, passing my test means applying the algorithms that the book has taught us, and we have not covered derivatives yet or been taught that rule. I have already been warned about using theorems that I am not supposed to know.

Thanks! :^)

What is a limit in calculus?

A limit in calculus is a fundamental concept that describes the behavior of a function as its input value approaches a certain value. It is represented by the symbol "lim" and is used to determine the value of a function at a certain point or to analyze the behavior of a function near a particular point.

How do you find the limit of a function?

To find the limit of a function, you can use the limit laws or evaluate the function using substitution or algebraic manipulation. In some cases, you may also need to use L'Hopital's rule or graph the function to determine the limit.

What is the difference between a one-sided limit and a two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit evaluates the behavior of a function as its input approaches a specific value from only one direction, either from the left or the right. A two-sided limit evaluates the behavior of a function as its input approaches a specific value from both the left and the right directions.

What does it mean when a limit does not exist?

If a limit does not exist, it means that the behavior of the function as its input approaches a certain value is not well-defined. This can happen if the function has a jump or a vertical asymptote at that particular value, or if the left and right limits do not agree at that point.

What is a "Can't Find Limit Problem" and how do you solve it?

A "Can't Find Limit Problem" refers to a limit that cannot be evaluated using the standard methods. In such cases, other techniques such as L'Hopital's rule, Taylor series, or the squeeze theorem may be used to solve the problem. In some cases, the limit may not exist, and this can be determined by graphing the function or using other mathematical tools.