What is the velocity of the thrown ball?

• Thread starter physicsnewb7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, the problem involves a ball being thrown at an angle of 3 degrees from a height of 1.5 m, reaching a wall 6 meters away and hitting it at a height of .97 m. The question asks for the velocity, which can be found by equating the equations for x and y motion and solving for the initial velocity components in each direction.
physicsnewb7

Homework Statement

This problem arose in my dynamics class. It says that a ball is thrown from a 1.5 m height at an angle of 3 degrees upward. it reaches a wall 6 meters away from where the ball is thrown, and hits the wall at a height of .97 m. The question asks what is the velocity?

Homework Equations

y=v(t)+1/2a(t^2)
v(y)=v+at

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to get the x and y velocity components but just can't seem to do it. I can't seem to understand how to get a velocity when there is no given amount of time. please help

Physics news on Phys.org
haven't tried working it out but you can make the question simpler by shifting the vertical height values down by 1.5m. That way, the ball starts at the origin and the ending height is (.97 - 1.5) = -.53m

This gets rid of some messy stuff. About your time question, I haven't tried it yet but because you are working on two dimension of motion, you can probably equate the equations and t is not required.

PS.
velocity vectors:
ucos3 in the x direction
usin3 in the y direction

how am I supposed to calculate the x,y velocity components ucos(3) and usin(3) when i can't find the normal velocity.

you leave them as usin3 and ucos3 (or 0.05234u and 0.99863u)

the method is this basically:
sx = 6 when sy = -0.53 (I got -0.53 from my previous post)
so this means that:

6 = ucos(3)t and -0.53 = usin(3)t -.5gt^2

t = 6/ucos(3) and you sub this into the other equation, then there is a lot of donkey work to solve for u

thanks appreciate the help!

1. What is velocity?

Velocity is a measure of an object's speed and direction of motion. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction.

2. Why is it important to find velocity?

Velocity is important because it helps us understand how fast and in what direction an object is moving. It is a fundamental concept in physics and is necessary for many calculations and equations.

3. How do you calculate velocity?

Velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in position (displacement) by the change in time. This is represented by the equation v = Δx/Δt, where v is velocity, Δx is change in position, and Δt is change in time.

4. What are some common units for velocity?

The most common units for velocity are meters per second (m/s) and kilometers per hour (km/h). However, depending on the context, other units such as miles per hour (mph) or feet per second (ft/s) may also be used.

5. Can velocity be negative?

Yes, velocity can be negative. A negative velocity indicates that an object is moving in the opposite direction of a chosen reference point. For example, if a car is moving west but the reference point is east, the car's velocity would be negative.