Can't find this exact reaction mechanism online -- Help please....

In summary, the conversation is about a reaction mechanism that cannot be found online. The person is asking for help and wondering what the mild oxidation does, if it adds Br or not, or if it forms an epoxide. They are also questioning the reaction name and asking if there is a mechanism for the reaction, which involves two -OH groups adding across the double bond.
IntegralDerivative

Homework Statement

2016-11-08_13-21-51.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Can't find this exact reaction mechanism online. Help?

http://imgur.com/a/X9P7e

I don't know what the mild oxidation does. Does it split the double bond into a ketone and aldehyde?

Attachments

• 2016-11-08_13-21-51.png
    2016-11-08_13-21-51.png
    7.3 KB · Views: 440
Physics news on Phys.org
"Mild oxidation?" Adding Br? Or, not? Epoxide?

Bystander said:
"Mild oxidation?" Adding Br? Or, not? Epoxide?

What if it was just mild oxidation? What would be the reaction name??

That's what I'm asking you. Is it a "mild oxidation" in the presence of bromine, or is it in the presence of something else?

Bystander said:
That's what I'm asking you. Is it a "mild oxidation" in the presence of bromine, or is it in the presence of something else?
It actually turns out to be just mild oxidation. I guess two -OH groups would add across the double bond? Is there a mechanism for this reaction?

What is a reaction mechanism?

A reaction mechanism is a detailed step-by-step description of the individual chemical reactions that take place during a chemical reaction.

Why can't I find this exact reaction mechanism online?

There are many possible reasons for this. It could be that the reaction is relatively new and has not been studied extensively, or it could be a proprietary reaction that has not been published. It is also possible that the reaction has been studied, but the mechanism has not been clearly identified or agreed upon by the scientific community.

How can I find the reaction mechanism for my specific reaction?

If you cannot find the reaction mechanism online, you can try searching through scientific journals or textbooks for similar reactions or related mechanisms. You can also consult with other scientists or experts in the field for their insights and expertise.

Why is it important to understand the reaction mechanism?

Understanding the reaction mechanism can provide valuable insights into the underlying chemical processes and help predict the behavior of the reaction under different conditions. It can also aid in the development of more efficient and sustainable reaction pathways.

Can I propose my own reaction mechanism?

Yes, you can propose your own reaction mechanism, but it must be supported by experimental evidence and be consistent with known chemical principles. It is also important to consider and address any potential alternative mechanisms that may explain the observed results.