Find Volume of Region Bounded by y=e^3x & y=e^x

• Thread starter 1MileCrash
  • Start date
In summary, the exact volume of the region bounded by y = e^3x, y = e^x, x=0, x=1 and revolved around the x-axis is given by the integral \pi \int^{1}_{0} e^{6x} - e^{2x} dx, which evaluates to \pi(\frac{e^{6} - 1}{6} - \frac{e^{2} + 1}{2}). However, this is incorrect as the region is not made up of disks, but rather washers. The correct approach would be to find the volume when the disk formed by e^{3x} is rotated around the x-axis, find the volume when the disk
1MileCrash

Homework Statement

Find the exact volume of the region bounded by:

y = e^3x
y = e^x
x=0
x=1

Revolved around x axis

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The partitions will be disks of radius e^3x - e^x and height of delta x.

Therefore, the volume of a partition is

pi(e^3x - e^x)^2 delta x

Integrating this from 0 to 1 gives me a final integral of:

[itex] \pi \int^{1}_{0} e^{6x} - e^{2x} dx[/itex]

Which evaluated for exact gives me:

[itex]\pi(\frac{e^{6} - 1}{6} - \frac{e^{2} + 1}{2})[/itex]

But I am incorrect. Why?

Physics news on Phys.org
They're (vertical) washers, with outer radius e3x and inner radius ex.

As it turns out, that's what you have in your integral expression. (But two wrongs don't make a right.)

Check your signs when you substitute the limits of integration into your anti-derivative.

1MileCrash said:

Homework Statement

Find the exact volume of the region bounded by:

y = e^3x
y = e^x
x=0
x=1

Revolved around x axis

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The partitions will be disks of radius e^3x - e^x and height of delta x.
No, they won't. In fact there are NO "disks". The region between the two graphs form a "washer". One way to do this is to find the volume wnem the disk formed by [itex]e^{3x}[/itex] is rotated around the x-axis, find the volume when the disk formed by [itex]e^x[/itex] is rotated around the x-axis, and then subtracting

Therefore, the volume of a partition is

pi(e^3x - e^x)^2 delta x
No. [itex]\pi\int e^{3x}dx- \pi\int e^x dx= \pi \int (e^3x- e^x) dx[/itex]

Integrating this from 0 to 1 gives me a final integral of:

[itex] \pi \int^{1}_{0} e^{6x} - e^{2x} dx[/itex]

Which evaluated for exact gives me:

[itex]\pi(\frac{e^{6} - 1}{6} - \frac{e^{2} + 1}{2})[/itex]

But I am incorrect. Why?

1. What is the formula for finding the volume of a region bounded by two curves?

The formula for finding the volume of a region bounded by two curves is given by ∫(upper curve - lower curve) dx, where the integration is taken over the x-values of the region.

2. How do I identify the upper and lower curves in a region bounded by two curves?

The upper and lower curves can be identified by graphing the two equations and observing which one is above the other. Alternatively, you can solve for the points of intersection between the two equations, and the curve with the larger y-values will be the upper curve.

3. Can I use any method of integration to find the volume of a region bounded by two curves?

Yes, any method of integration such as the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus or integration by parts can be used to find the volume of a region bounded by two curves.

4. Is it necessary to have the equations in terms of x in order to find the volume of the region?

No, the equations can also be in terms of y. In this case, the formula for finding the volume would be ∫(right curve - left curve) dy, where the integration is taken over the y-values of the region.

5. Can the region bounded by the two curves be rotated about an axis to find the volume?

Yes, the region can be rotated about any axis and the volume can be found using the formula for finding the volume of a solid of revolution.