How to Integrate 2/e3x(6+e-3x)dx Using Substitution

• Thread starter Iskander
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary, the conversation discusses solving the integral \int 2/e3x(6+e-3x)dx using the equation \int eu du = e u + C. The attempt at a solution involves using substitution and setting u = (6 + e^(-3x)) to simplify the integral.
Iskander
Can't integrate the "e"s here

Homework Statement

[tex]\int 2/e3x(6+e-3x)dx[/tex]

Homework Equations

I have no idea as to what equations to use, other than [tex]\int[/tex] e[tex]u[/tex] du = e [tex]u[/tex] + C

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\int[/tex] 2/(6e3x +1) dx
u = 6e3x +1
du = 18e3x dx

and that's as far as I can get, I can't think of what else to do. HELP!

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

please fix your latex code to make it readable

Is it supposed to be this?
[tex]\int \frac{2}{e^{3x}} (6 + e^{-3x}) dx[/tex]

Or this?
[tex]\int \frac{2}{e^{3x} (6 + e^{-3x})} dx[/tex]

If it's the second, then I wouldn't distribute the e^(3x) at all. I would move it to the numerator, and then use substitution: u = (6 + e^(-3x)). Try it and see what happens.

Last edited by a moderator:

What does it mean when you can't integrate the e^s here?

When you can't integrate the e^s here, it means that the function being evaluated cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions (such as polynomials, trigonometric functions, or exponential functions) using standard integration techniques.

Why is it difficult to integrate the e^s here?

The difficulty in integrating the e^s here lies in the fact that it is a transcendental function, meaning it cannot be expressed as a finite combination of algebraic operations. This makes it challenging to evaluate and integrate using traditional methods.

Are there any alternative methods for integrating the e^s here?

Yes, there are alternative methods for integrating the e^s here, such as using numerical integration techniques or using special functions, such as the error function or Bessel functions.

What are some real-world applications of integrating the e^s here?

Integrating the e^s here is commonly used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, chemistry, and economics. It is used to solve equations and model natural phenomena, such as radioactive decay and population growth.

Is it possible to find an exact solution for integrating the e^s here?

No, there is no general closed-form solution for integrating the e^s here. However, for specific functions and limits, it is possible to find exact solutions using techniques such as substitution or integration by parts.