Troubleshooting Log Out Issues in Google Chrome

• Bug
  • Thread starter EnumaElish
  • Start date
In summary, the bug is that if you can't log out, clicking on the "return to previous page" button will still log you in. Clearing your data and cookies may fix the issue.
EnumaElish
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Using Google Chrome, I have been unable to log out. I am posting this after clicking on the "Log Out" link, which brought up two options:

Return to the page you were previously viewing
Go to forums index

I chose to return to the previously viewed page, which is how I am able to post this after I've logged out.

Physics news on Phys.org
Clear your cache. There might be a problem with the cookie sticking around.

You can't stay logged in if it doesn't see the cookie.

You can check out any time you like but you can never leave.
:wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Can anyone duplicate this result?

Try clicking the log-out link twice. Do it once to reach a message screen from physicsforums, and you might see a log-out link yet in the upper right corner of the screen. Click on it again. Are you then logged out after this? This time, you should see no log-out link.

Have you tried what I suggested?

If you don't have the cookie, when you come back to PF you can't be logged in.

Log Out, Close the browser, Reload it and come back to PF.

EnumaElish said:
Can anyone duplicate this result?

No. The bug is even worse in the normal IE browser. I tried to log out, but my hand started shaking worse and worse the closer the mouse got to the Log Out link. I wound up passing out before I could ever get my mouse centered on the Log Out link.

BobG said:
No. The bug is even worse in the normal IE browser. I tried to log out, but my hand started shaking worse and worse the closer the mouse got to the Log Out link. I wound up passing out before I could ever get my mouse centered on the Log Out link.
This is pretty funny, I give it three chuckles (out of 5).

Why is it a problem ? I never log out or login (only logged in when I registered.)

Public computer, shared computer, nosy family / friends etc.

There's a few reasons logging out can be required and a problem if you cannot do so.

It looks like the bug has been fixed.

EnumaElish said:
It looks like the bug has been fixed.

Which suggests it was on your side, I don't think Greg changed anything.

Now it looks like it hasn't been.

For the third time, have you tried what I suggested?

Instead of all the non-sense here, give it a go. What I oulined before is the only reason you wouldn't be logged out - a glitch with the local cookie on your machine.

PF can't have a general glitch as others can still log out.

jarednjames said:
others can still log out.
Using chrome? Clicking on the "Return to previous page" option?

Yes, I can.

Have you tried the suggested yet?

EnumaElish said:
Using chrome? Clicking on the "Return to previous page" option?

No, that's not it.

In the upper right hand corner, under the red X, is a black wrench. Click it and go down to Options. Go to the Under the Hood tab, and click on Clear Browsing Data... You'll probably want to keep the Save Passwords box unchecked, but the other boxes are up to you. Be sure the Clear Cookies one is checked. Then click Clear Browsing Data.

If you've never done this before, it will take a *long* time!

lisab said:
No, that's not it.

I think she meant, can other log out in chrome and then hit the return to previous page button and still be logged out - because I said others can log out. Not that that is the way to clear your data. (Well that's what I think based on the quote she gave.)

Yes Lisa, you are correct for clearing the data and for the fifth time I would urge the OP to try it.

I would also note that if the "return to previous page" button acts as simply a back button, it could show you as logged in when you're not - you need to try lisab's explanation above!

What if I'd like to keep some cookies (other than PF) and I have other tabs open that I don't wish to close?

Jared, I was able to actually make a new post after I went through the "log out-previous page" routine so I know it's "real" and not a shadow or apparition.

Well if your browser has an issue with not being able to clear the PF cookie when the site instructs it to, that is a local problem not a site one.

When I log out, the site clears the file so next time I visit I'm not logged in.

Right, let's do this:

Click log out, close the browser (without pressing anything else), come back to PF and see if you need to log in.

Please report back on each step.

Report, part I:

Click log out ... done!

[detour]
Click "return previous page" link > Make a test post to verify that I am not really logged out > Delete the post > Find my way to here (Forum Feedback & Announcements)
[/detour]

Typeset Report part I.

Click [Post Quick Reply] button.

Last edited:
Report, part II:

Click log out ... done!
Close browser ... done!

[It could happen]
upon closing of the browser, lose 11 extra open tabs.
[/it could happen]

Reopen browser ... done!
See if I can post ... nope!
Log back in ... done!
Post Report part II ... don

EnumaElish: Could you post the exact URL you usually use or click on when you first enter Physics Forums?

EnumaElish said:
Report, part I:

Click log out ... done!

[detour]
Click "return previous page" link > Make a test post to verify that I am not really logged out > Delete the post > Find my way to here (Forum Feedback & Announcements)
[/detour]

Typeset Report part I.

Click [Post Quick Reply] button.

EnumaElish said:
Report, part II:

Click log out ... done!
Close browser ... done!

[It could happen]
upon closing of the browser, lose 11 extra open tabs.
[/it could happen]

Reopen browser ... done!
See if I can post ... nope!
Log back in ... done!
Post Report part II ... don

Right, I tried what you did in Firefox. The site works fine.

I clicked log out, it reports cookies cleared, I click return to previous page and it asks me to log into post.

So, the problem is clear. The cookie isn't being removed until you restart the browser (despite you being told it is). So when you click return to previous page (or go anywhere on the site), it still sees you as logged in.

This would be a bug with Chrome, not PF.

You can report it to Google, live with it or change browsers (I recommend Firefox).

For the record, I had this happen once (with IE). Stayed "online" after logging out until I closed the browser. It never happened again after that.

My guess is that the cookie is being accessed by the browser somewhere else and can't be cleared right away.

nvn said:
EnumaElish: Could you post the exact URL you usually use or click on when you first enter Physics Forums?
https://www.physicsforums.com/

Do you still have problems using https://www.physicsforums.com/" ?

Well I think we can safely say we've identified the problem. The cookie isn't being cleared.

I've given you the options.

EnumaElish: Wherever you have that URL stored, right-click on that URL, and select Properties, then change [noparse]https://www.physicsforums.com/[/noparse] to [noparse]http://[/noparse][color=blue]www.[/color][noparse]physicsforums.com/[/noparse]. After that, exit your browser. Then see if your log out failure problem ever occurs again.

If it does occur again, just this once, delete all of your physicsforums cookies, exit your browser, and then test it again. Let us know.

nvn said:
EnumaElish: Wherever you have that URL stored, right-click on that URL, and select Properties, then change [noparse]https://www.physicsforums.com/[/noparse] to [noparse]http://[/noparse][color=blue]www.[/color][noparse]physicsforums.com/[/noparse]. After that, exit your browser. Then see if your log out failure problem ever occurs again.

That shouldn't make a difference.
If it does occur again, just this once, delete all of your physicsforums cookies, exit your browser, and then test it again. Let us know.

We've already done this, we know it works when this action is completed.

1. Why does Google Chrome keep logging me out?

There could be several reasons for this issue. It could be due to a problem with your internet connection, a corrupted browser cache, or a faulty extension or plugin. It is recommended to try clearing your browser cache and disabling any extensions that may be causing conflicts.

2. How do I fix the "Oops! Something went wrong" error when trying to log out of Google Chrome?

This error is usually caused by a problem with your browser cookies. Try clearing your cookies and then attempt to log out again. If the issue persists, try using a different browser or contacting Google Chrome support for further assistance.

3. Why am I automatically logged out of Google Chrome after a few minutes of inactivity?

This could be due to your browser settings or a security feature enabled by your organization. Check your browser settings to see if there is a time limit set for automatic logouts, or reach out to your organization's IT department for more information.

4. How can I prevent Google Chrome from logging me out of my accounts?

If you are constantly being logged out of your accounts on Google Chrome, it could be because you have enabled the "Clear cookies and site data when you quit Chrome" option. To prevent this, go to your browser settings, select "Privacy and security," and then disable this option.

5. Why am I logged out of Google Chrome on one device, but not on another?

If you are experiencing different login statuses on different devices, it could be because you are using different Google accounts or have different settings enabled on each device. Make sure you are using the same account and check your browser settings to ensure they are consistent across all devices.