Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can't post smilies

1. May 25, 2005 #1
    Can't post smilies....

Sorry for double posting, but I put this up on the Software forum and got no reply:

I'm puzzled. Just a small problem, but an annoying one. On my desktop PC I can post messages, add smilies, attach documents, whatever to this website.

However, on my laptop, I can post messages and attach documents, but NOTHING else works - no tags, no smilies, no links, nothing!

On both computers I use Mozilla Firefox 1.0.4. In the little box at the bottom of the page it says 'smilies are on'.

I don't care TOO much about smilies, but why on Earth could this be? What setting do I have on my laptop, but not on my desktop? (Both on Windows XP)

Anyone??

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2005 #2

matthyaouw

Gold Member

I have the same problem. If I click any of the formatting buttons on the reply page, they don't work. I assume its a problem with my computer rather than the forum, so I just type in the code for smileys & formatting myself.

4. May 26, 2005 #3
    Are your javascript settings different or have different security software installed that might restrict the message functions?

5. May 26, 2005 #4

JamesU

Gold Member

Try refreshing the page (it worked for me)

6. May 28, 2005 #5
    Not that I know of - No. Anything particular I should look for?
    :confused:

:biggrin: (I'm on my desktop now!!!)

Last edited: May 28, 2005
  7. May 28, 2005 #6
    Hmm, odd this.

I've just booted up Internet Explorer, and the smilies work if I visit PF using that.
    :biggrin: see!

But with Mozilla Firefox I cant! However, my desktop uses the same version of Mozilla Firefox, and smilies and text formatting all work on that.

Any Firefox experts out there?

8. May 28, 2005 #7
    Ok, I've solved it!!

:biggrin: :biggrin:

I use Adblock with Mozilla (another great reason to say goodbye to IE) and when I cleared all the ads from this site, I removed the script that allows smileys too!!

I've now 'un-erased' this and everything works fine even text formatting.

I thought I'd report back in case others have the same problem - Adblock is THE most popular plug-in with Mozilla.

9. May 28, 2005 #8

JamesU

Gold Member

b-b-ut...IE is the b-b-estt...:cry:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?