Quoting Posts on Physics Forums - Issue & Solution

• Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
In summary, quoting posts on Physics Forums can be problematic as it may lead to confusion or misinterpretation of the original post and result in a fragmented discussion thread. The solution to this issue is to use the "Reply" button instead of the "Quote" button, which helps to keep the discussion organized and easier to follow. This method also has the benefit of reducing clutter and allowing for a more natural flow of conversation. Alternatively, users can manually select and quote specific parts of a post without using the "Quote" button to avoid these issues.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
In the thread https://www.physicsforums.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=4445900 , when I try to quote post #65 only the first part of it shows up in the message composition window.

Edit: The problem may be that posts are being edited or deleted while I'm trying to quote them. I'll wait till things settle down and try again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Stephen Tashi said:
In the thread https://www.physicsforums.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=4445900 , when I try to quote post #65 only the first part of it shows up in the message composition window.

Using Chrome 28 it quotes ok for me.

Last edited:

1. What is the issue with quoting posts on Physics Forums?

The issue with quoting posts on Physics Forums is that it can sometimes cause confusion or misinterpretation of the original post. This is because the quoted text may be taken out of context or may not accurately represent the entire post. Additionally, if the original post is edited, the quoted text may not reflect the updated information.

2. How can quoting posts be problematic?

Quoting posts can be problematic because it can lead to a fragmented discussion thread, where different parts of the conversation are scattered throughout the thread. This can make it difficult for readers to follow the discussion and may result in repetitive or redundant responses.

3. What is the solution to this issue?

The solution to this issue is to use the "Reply" button instead of the "Quote" button when responding to a specific post. This will create a nested thread, where your response is directly linked to the post you are addressing. This keeps the discussion organized and easier to follow.

4. Are there any other benefits to using the "Reply" button instead of the "Quote" button?

Yes, using the "Reply" button also helps to reduce clutter in the thread and makes it easier for moderators to moderate the discussion. Additionally, it allows for a more natural flow of conversation, as it encourages users to respond to specific points rather than quoting the entire post.

5. Is there a way to quote a specific part of a post without using the "Quote" button?

Yes, you can manually select and copy the text you want to quote, then paste it into your response and use quotation marks ("") to indicate it as a quote. This method allows you to quote only the relevant parts of a post, avoiding the issues that come with using the "Quote" button.