Demystifying the Equation: Understanding the Meaning of Variables in dp/dt=F

• Thread starter mart
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the conversation is about a video where a formula with the variable "d" was mentioned, causing confusion for the speaker who is not familiar with it in their country. They ask for clarification and it is explained that "d" is not a variable in this case, but rather the derivative of momentum with respect to time. The speaker then asks for a legend of the equation and it is clarified that "d" is equivalent to delta, which represents a small displacement. The conversation ends with a reference to the Wikipedia page for derivatives and a summary of the definition of a derivative.
mart
I was watching a video and this guy comes up with a formula which I should know and it is not very strange to me, but there is this 'd' variable, which I believe we don't use in my country... perhaps we give it another name or so and I'm getting quite confused reading american/english materials anyways :
[tex]\frac{dp}{dt}[/tex]=F

Could you kindly do a legend of this equation? I mean what the variables stand for.
Thanks for the support this is a great forum

Physics news on Phys.org
"d" isn't a variable in this case. dp/dt is the derivative of momentum with respect to time, i.e. the rate of change of momentum with respect to time, from calculus.

so isn't that equivalent to delta?
I got it if that is the case, it makes much more sense now :)

delta and "d" are very similar depending on how they are used...
often delta is a larger displacement than a tiny infinitesimal displacement "d".

see here alongside the first diagram:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derivative

"change in y"/ " change in x" is delta y/delta x and the derivative is defined as the limit as delta approaches zero...

Thank you for bringing up this question about the equation dp/dt=F. This equation is known as the fundamental equation of calculus and is commonly used in physics and mathematics to represent the rate of change of a variable. In this case, the variable "p" represents the quantity or value that is changing, while "t" represents the time. The "d" notation is used to represent the derivative, which is a mathematical concept that describes how one variable changes in relation to another.

Therefore, the equation can be read as "the change in p with respect to the change in t is equal to the force (F)." This means that the rate at which p changes over time is equal to the force acting on it. It is important to note that the variables used in this equation can vary depending on the context in which it is used. For example, in physics, p could represent momentum and F could represent force.

I hope this explanation helps to demystify the equation for you. It is always important to understand the meaning of variables in any equation to fully grasp its significance. Keep exploring and learning, and don't be afraid to ask questions. That's what science is all about!

1. What are some common reasons for not being able to recognize a formula?

There are a few common reasons for not being able to recognize a formula. It could be due to a lack of familiarity with the specific notation or symbols used, a mistake in the notation or formatting, or a lack of context or background knowledge in the subject area.

2. How can I improve my ability to recognize formulas?

One way to improve your ability to recognize formulas is to familiarize yourself with the common notation and symbols used in the subject area. Additionally, practice identifying and working with different formulas in a variety of contexts to improve your recognition skills.

3. Are there any resources or tools that can help me recognize formulas?

Yes, there are many online resources and tools that can help with recognizing formulas. Some examples include formula databases, online equation editors, and formula recognition software.

4. Can I use a calculator to help me recognize formulas?

While calculators can help with solving equations and performing calculations, they may not be as helpful in recognizing formulas. It is important to have a solid understanding of the notation and symbols used in order to accurately recognize formulas.

5. How can I tell if a formula is correct?

To determine if a formula is correct, it is important to carefully check the notation and symbols used, as well as the context and application of the formula. Additionally, double-checking your work and consulting with other experts in the field can help confirm the accuracy of a formula.