Run Java Applet on Website: Troubleshooting Guide

• Java
  • Thread starter Teck
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Java
In summary, the individual is attempting to run a Java applet on a specific website but is facing issues due to security settings. They have tried adding the website as an exception in the Java control panel but it is still being blocked. The individual is looking for a way to run the applet and suggests downloading the source and running it directly or converting it into a Java application. They also mention the possibility of using the applet viewer command or installing the Java applet plugin into the browser.
Teck
I'm trying to run this java applet on this website: http://astro.u-strasbg.fr/~koppen/discharge/discharge.html

But the security settings in java doesn't allow it. I have added the website as exception in the java control panel, but it is still being blocked.

How to run this java applet?

Technology news on Phys.org
You could download the source and run it directly on your machine. I think there is a command to run Java applets or you could modify it into a java application and it it that way.

Try the applet viewer command:

https://docs.oracle.com/javase/10/tools/appletviewer.htm#JSWOR612
Here’s some code that might work to convert it to a java application but it may be too old or deprecated.

http://ecomputernotes.com/java/awt-and-applets/appletfromcommandline
Alternatively, you could install the Java applet plugin into your browser.

Q1: Why won't my Java applet run on my website?

There are several potential reasons why your Java applet may not be running on your website. Some common causes include:

• Incorrect code or syntax errors in the applet's code
  • Missing or outdated Java installation on the user's computer
  • Browser settings blocking or disabling Java applets
  • Security restrictions set by the web server or browser

Q2: How can I check if Java is installed on a user's computer?

One way to check if Java is installed on a user's computer is to use the java -version command in the computer's command prompt or terminal. This will display the version of Java, if it is installed. Another option is to use a Java detection tool provided by Oracle, the developer of Java. This tool can be embedded in your website's code to check for the presence of Java on the user's computer.

Q3: My Java applet works on some computers, but not others. Why?

This could be due to a variety of reasons. Some possible explanations include:

• Different versions or configurations of Java on the different computers
  • Browser settings or security restrictions blocking the applet on certain computers
  • Incompatibility issues with the user's operating system
  • Errors or bugs in the applet's code that only affect certain systems

Q4: How can I troubleshoot Java applet errors on my website?

One approach to troubleshooting Java applet errors is to check the browser's console for any error messages. These can help pinpoint the cause of the problem. You can also try testing the applet on different browsers and computers to see if the issue is specific to one setup. Additionally, reviewing the applet's code for any errors or debugging statements can also be helpful in identifying and fixing issues.

Q5: Can I run a Java applet on a mobile device?

No, Java applets are not supported on most mobile devices. They are designed to run on desktop computers with a Java Runtime Environment (JRE) installed. However, there are alternative technologies such as HTML5 and JavaScript that can be used to create interactive elements on a website that are compatible with mobile devices.