Can't see through my Telescope

In summary, the speaker is experiencing difficulties using their Newtonian reflector telescope. They have tried adjusting the focuser, changing eyepieces, and using it during the day. However, they can only see anything through the eyepiece if they hold one of the telescope legs up. The speaker suspects that the lens may not be centered and is unsure how to fix it. Another person suggests collimating the scope, and provides a website for instructions. The first step in collimating is to look through the telescope without an eyepiece and check if the secondary appears centered in the reflection of the primary mirror. If not, the primary mirror may be misaligned. For further discussion on collimation, the speaker is directed to another website.
George Barry
I bough a Newtonian reflector a while back, after it was assembled I couldn't see anything through the eyepiece. The viewfinder works perfectly fine, but when I look through the eyepiece it is just pitch black. Any suggestions?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

What have you tried to do to make it work? I assume you have tried to adjust the focuser...? Changed eyepieces...? Tried it during the day...? What were you pointing it at...? We can help if you provide details. We've heard this question before.

Last edited:
Thanks, yes I have done all of the above, I used it during the day and all I saw was darkness. I could only view anything if I lifted one of the telescope legs up and held it in place long enough to look through the eyepiece, which makes me think the lens may not be centered, but I am not sure.

The first suggestion is to look though the telescope without an eyepiece in the focuser. The secondary should appear to be centered in the reflection of the primary mirror. If not, your primary is misaligned. For futher discussion see http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-resources/how-to-align-your-Newtonian-reflector-telescope/

1. Why can't I see anything through my telescope?

There could be several reasons for this. One common reason is that the telescope is not properly aligned with the object you are trying to view. Make sure to follow the instructions for aligning your telescope and double check the focus. Another possibility is that there is too much light pollution in your area, making it difficult to see faint objects. You may need to travel to a darker location for better visibility. Additionally, atmospheric conditions such as humidity, temperature, and air turbulence can affect the clarity of your view.

2. Can I use my telescope during the day?

Yes, you can use your telescope during the day to view objects such as the moon or planets. However, it is important to use a solar filter to protect your eyes and the telescope's optics from the intense sunlight. Never point a telescope at the sun without a proper solar filter.

3. Why is everything blurry through my telescope?

The most common reason for blurry images is that the telescope is not properly focused. Make sure to adjust the focus knob until the image appears clear. If the problem persists, it could be due to atmospheric conditions or the quality of the telescope's optics. You may need to upgrade to a higher quality telescope for better clarity.

4. How far can I see with my telescope?

The distance you can see through your telescope depends on various factors, such as the size and quality of the telescope, atmospheric conditions, and light pollution. With a high-quality telescope and clear skies, you may be able to see objects millions of light years away. However, most amateur telescopes are best suited for viewing objects within our solar system.

5. Can I see galaxies and nebulae with my telescope?

Yes, with the right conditions and equipment, you can see galaxies and nebulae through a telescope. However, these objects may appear as faint, fuzzy patches of light and may not have the same level of detail as seen in photographs. It is also important to note that the visibility of these objects may vary depending on your location and the time of year.