Integrating Elliptical Density: A Simplified Approach Using Cross Products

In summary, the conversation discusses an integral involving the function of a density to calculate the mass of an ellipse-shaped plate. The problem is simplified by making a change of variables to polar coordinates. The region of integration is transformed through an invertible map and the Jacobian matrix is used to compute the integral in polar coordinates. The final solution is found to be 36π.
mantgx

Homework Statement

∫∫D√(9x2+4y2) dx dyD is the region: x2/4+y2/9=1

My understanding is that i have to integrate the function of a density to calculate the mass of plate which is ellipse. Problem is i can't and shouldn't be able to integrate this integral at my level, so am i missing some way of simplification?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you considered a change of variables (or two)?

to polar cordinates?

Try getting the coordinates to a form where making the change to polar coordinates make more sense first. Hint: An ellipse does not give the simplest boundary condition in polar coordinates.

Why not let ##x = 2u## and ##y = 3v##.

Then switch to polar.

Zondrina said:
Why not let ##x = 2u## and ##y = 3v##.

Then switch to polar.

i do not understand how this will help.

can please someone solve the problem for me I am desperate

Why don't you try doing it? It will be much more instructive than if we solve it for you.

mantgx said:
i do not understand how this will help.

can please someone solve the problem for me I am desperate

There's a theorem you should be familiar with, it should be along the lines of:

##\int_R \int f(x,y) dxdy = \int_{R'} \int f(u,v) |J| dudv##.

Where ##|J|## is the Jacobian matrix of the transformation, ##R## and ##R'## are the regions. You have an integral, which looks like the left side of the above theorem. The theorem tells you that you can change the region and co-ordinates of a double integral, and get the same answer.

So making the substitution I noted in an earlier post, what happens to the region ##D##? It gets mapped to some region ##D'## through an invertible map. What is the result of plugging the substitution into the integral on the right?

Zondrina said:
There's a theorem you should be familiar with, it should be along the lines of:

##\int_R \int f(x,y) dxdy = \int_{R'} \int f(u,v) |J| dudv##.

Where ##|J|## is the Jacobian matrix of the transformation, ##R## and ##R'## are the regions. You have an integral, which looks like the left side of the above theorem. The theorem tells you that you can change the region and co-ordinates of a double integral, and get the same answer.

So making the substitution I noted in an earlier post, what happens to the region ##D##? It gets mapped to some region ##D'## through an invertible map. What is the result of plugging the substitution into the integral on the right?

∫∫R'√(36u^2+12v^2) J du dv

?

mantgx said:
∫∫R'√(36u^2+12v^2) J du dv

?

No, the integral becomes ##36 \int \int_{D'} \sqrt{u^2 + v^2} |J| dudv##. Where of course ##dx = 2du## and ##dy = 3dv##.

The region ##D → D' := u^2 + v^2 = 1##. Notice this is the equation of a circle with radius 1.

The Jacobian is the matrix of partial derivatives of the transformation. Can you compute it?

For reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacobian_matrix_and_determinant

What is ##4\times 3^2## and what is the expression for ##J##?

If you are not familiar with jacobians, try the following instead: what is ##du## if ##u = x/2##? (It is ok to use this type of reasoning as long as you are making parameter transformations of the type considered here, i.e., u = f(x) and v = g(y))

Zondrina said:
No, the integral becomes ##36 \int \int_{D'} \sqrt{u^2 + v^2} |J| dudv##.

##\sqrt{36} = 6## ...

ok, i understand a little now.

J=6 ?

is the final solution 36pi?

Yes, J=6 (or rather |J|=6) in the first variable change.

What is the area element ##du\, dv## expressed in polar coordinates?

24pi

Orodruin said:
##\sqrt{36} = 6## ...

Don't forget ##dx## and ##dy##.

Zondrina said:
Don't forget ##dx## and ##dy##.

I would have agreed if you did not still have the jacobian in your expression.

mantgx said:
24pi

What are your integration limits in polar coordinates? (The answer is the same as I get by doing it in my head, which I do not trust at 1am, but I just want to make sure you've got it right)

r=(0,1)
fi=(0,2pi)

:thumbs:

I am assuming you got 36π by forgetting the r in the area element? (du dv = r dr dθ, i.e., |J|=r for the change to polar coordinates)

Likes 1 person
Orodruin said:
I would have agreed if you did not still have the jacobian in your expression.
Whoops, my bad. Didn't notice that while typing.

Likes 1 person
your assumption is correct

thank you guys 100x times

Zondrina said:
Whoops, my bad. Didn't notice that while typing.

Copy and Paste, the source of 98% of all typos in published papers - also 73.4% of all statistics you will read are made up on the spot ;)

What is the shape of the region bounded by the line ##\frac{x^2}{4}+\frac{y^2}{9}=1## ?

You can rewrite the square root in the integrand as ##\sqrt{9x^2+4y^2}=6\sqrt{x^2/4+y^2/9}=6##, so you have the integral ##\int _D{dxdy}## which is the area of the shape bounded by the line ##\frac{x^2}{2^2}+\frac{y^2}{9}=1##.

ehild

ehild said:
What is the shape of the region bounded by the line ##\frac{x^2}{4}+\frac{y^2}{9}=1## ?

You can rewrite the square root in the integrand as ##\sqrt{9x^2+4y^2}=6\sqrt{x^2/4+y^2/9}=6##, so you have the integral ##\int _D{dxdy}## which is the area of the shape bounded by the line ##\frac{x^2}{2^2}+\frac{y^2}{9}=1##.

ehild

The integrand is not constant in the area. There is an obvious typo in the formulation where D is defined as being ##\frac{x^2}{2^2}+\frac{y^2}{9}=1##. It should read ##\frac{x^2}{2^2}+\frac{y^2}{9}\leq 1##. Otherwise D would have measure 0, which would result in 0.

The problem was already solved by OP: you make the substitution
$$
x = 2 r \cos\theta,\quad y=3 r\sin\theta
$$
which brings the entire problem to an integral of ##36r## over the unit disk.

Another way of looking at the Jacobian: In analogy with polar coordinates an "obvious" substitution or parameterization is [itex]x= 2r cos(\theta)[/itex], [itex]y= 3r sin(\theta)[/itex]. We can represent the surface by the "position vector" [itex]\vec{v}= 2r cos(\theta)\vec{i}+ 3r sin(\theta)\vec{j}[/itex]. The derivative vectors, [itex]\vec{v}_r= 2 cos(\theta)\vec{i}- 3 sin(\theta)\vec{j}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{v}_\theta= -2r sin(\theta)\vec{i}+ 3r cos(\theta)\vec{k}[/itex] are tangent to the surface and contain metric information in their directions. Their cross product, [itex]6r \vec{k}[/itex], is perpendicular to the surface and gives the differential of area: [itex]dxdy= 6r drd\theta[/itex].

The integrand is [itex]\sqrt{9x^2+ 4y^2}= \sqrt{9(4r^2 cos^2(\theta))+ 4(9r^2 sin^2(\theta))}= 6r[/itex]
So that the integral is [itex]\int_{r= 0}^1\int_{\theta= 0}^{2\pi} (6r)(6r drd\theta)= 36\int_{r=0}^1\int_{\theta= 0}^{2\pi} r^2 drd\theta[/itex]

I would agree but for the introduction of the 3D cross product to solve a 2D problem, since the method is much more general, applies to arbitrary dimensions, and there is no need to reference a 3D space. Instead I would reference the determinant as the area (or more generally, the n-volume, of the parallelogram spanned by the columns/rows), which for two vectors in 3D just so happens to be the magnitude of the cross product.

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a mathematical concept used in calculus to calculate the volume under a curved surface. It involves solving two integrals, one nested inside the other.

2. Why can't I solve a double integral?

Double integrals can be challenging to solve because they require a good understanding of integration techniques and the ability to visualize and manipulate multiple variables.

3. How do I know when to use a double integral?

Double integrals are used to find the total volume of a three-dimensional object, or to calculate the area under a curved surface in two dimensions. They are also useful for solving problems involving multiple variables and complex shapes.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving a double integral?

Some common mistakes when solving double integrals include forgetting to change the order of integration, not properly accounting for the limits of integration, and making errors in algebraic calculations.

5. What are some tips for solving a double integral?

Some tips for solving double integrals include breaking the problem down into smaller parts, using symmetry to simplify the integral, and practicing with different integration techniques. It can also be helpful to visualize the problem and draw a graph to better understand the problem.