Solve Problem: Can't Optimize Equations with Manual Method

• Thread starter ojsimon
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a method for solving a system of equations without using Excel. The equations involve variables for optimum units sold, optimum price, and margin. The speaker has been struggling to solve the equations manually, but eventually finds a solution. Another person suggests using a computer program for more efficient solving.
ojsimon
Hi

I am trying to do this manually without excel, http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/help/HA100242441033.aspx

I have come to the two equations:
u=30000*(1+((x/20)-1)*-1.1)
m=(u*(x-10))-300000

where u= optimum units sold
x= optimum price
m=margin with optimum price

I have tried simplifying these together and optimising it, but keep getting the wrong answer. Could anyone help me by providing a solution to it which matches the one on microsoft's website?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Solving this system requires iterations. You need to make a "guess" at the values of u and m and also apply the constraints to the equations. Once that is done, you solve the equations with the "guess" value store those results, solve the system with the new values, compare the results, and keep doing this until you have reach the convergence tolerance. This can tedious by hand if the system requires a lot of iterations to converge, that is why having a computer program do it for you is much more efficient.

Thanks
Matt

thanks but just managed to solve it the normal way, just took ages and lots of working

1. What is the manual method for optimizing equations?

The manual method for optimizing equations involves using mathematical techniques such as differentiation, integration, and algebraic manipulation to find the optimal solution to a given problem. This method requires individuals to manually perform calculations and make decisions based on their understanding of the problem.

2. Why is it difficult to optimize equations with the manual method?

The manual method for optimizing equations can be difficult because it requires a strong understanding of mathematical concepts and techniques. It also involves a lot of manual calculations, which can be time-consuming and prone to human error.

3. Are there any limitations to using the manual method for equation optimization?

Yes, the manual method for equation optimization may have limitations in terms of the complexity of the problem. It may not be feasible to manually solve equations with a large number of variables or complex functions. Additionally, the manual method may not always guarantee the most optimal solution.

4. What are some alternatives to the manual method for optimizing equations?

There are various alternatives to the manual method for optimizing equations, such as using computer software or programming languages to solve equations numerically. Other techniques include using optimization algorithms or machine learning methods to find the optimal solution.

5. How can I improve my ability to optimize equations with the manual method?

To improve your ability to optimize equations with the manual method, it is important to have a strong understanding of mathematical concepts and techniques. Regular practice and exposure to different types of problems can also help in developing problem-solving skills. Additionally, seeking guidance from a mentor or taking courses in mathematics and optimization can also be beneficial.