1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cant solve this differential equation

1. Feb 26, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a. find the general solution to this differential equation
    dy/dx = x(y-1)^2
    b. find the particular solution to the given initial condition f(0) = 1
    c. use the solution found in b to find the range of f

2. Relevant equations
    none really

3. The attempt at a solution
    this question seemed simple, but i cant really get the right answer.
    here is my attempt

*i use different letters after manipulating constants, because they are still constants after adding/subtracting/dividing/multiplying

dy/dx = x(y-1)^2

*separation of variables*

x dx = (y-1)^-2 dy

*integrate both sides*

x^2/2 + C1= -(y-1)^-1 + C2

x^2/2 = -(y-1)^-1 + K

solve for y

(x^2/2 = -1/(y-1) + K) * 2

x^2 = -2/(y-1) + L

x^2 = -2(y-1)^-1 + L

(x^2 + H = -2(y-1)^-1 ) * -1/2
    x^2/2 + G = (y-1)^-1
    raise everything to the negative 1

(x^2/2 +G)^-1 = y-1

x^2/2 +G = (x^2 + 2G)/2

((x^2 + 2G)/2)^-1 = 2/(x^2 + 2G)

2/(x^2 + 2G) + 1 = y

but i can tell already this is the wrong answer, and with a wrong general solution, i cant do the other parts of the problem.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There's a sign error on the first term in your solution.
  4. Feb 26, 2007 #3

Homework Helper

You solved the given differential equation [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}=x(y-1)^2[/itex] and obtained the correct general solution (except you dropped a - sign on the [itex]x^2[/itex] term after you multiplied by -1/2) [tex]y_g=\frac{2}{2G-x^2}+1[/tex] for which [tex]\frac{dy_g}{dx}=\frac{4x}{(2G-x^2)^2}=x(y_g-1)^2[/tex] and is then indeed a valid solution to the given equation, however the initial condition that f(0)=1 is something of a problem since when we solved the equation we had divided both sides by (y-1)^2 for which we need to assume that [itex]y\neq 1[/itex] since that would involve division by zero. But maybe we can ignore that and solve it anyways... If we set x=0 and y=1 in the general solution [tex]y_g=\frac{2}{2G-x^2}+1[/tex] we get [tex]1=\frac{1}{G}+1\Rightarrow \frac{1}{G}=0[/tex] which only holds if we let [itex]G\to\pm\infty[/itex] and this gives the particular solution [tex]y_p=\lim_{G\to\pm\infty}\left(\frac{2}{2G-x^2}+1\right)=0+1=1[/tex], which is the equilibrium solution.
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?