Can't solve this equation

• Thread starter ISX
  • Start date
ISX

Homework Statement

mmplkx.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I am trying to solve for A but the sine thing has me all screwed up. This isn't for homework but I figured it might be better in this section. I get down to Sin A(4.625A + 171.87) = 229.16

I don't think I did it right at all and if I did I have no idea how to go any farther with it. Thanks for any help you guys might have.

Answers and Replies

rock.freak667
Homework Helper
You can't really solve that algebraically unless you know some information about A. But what you can do is use a graph plotter and use that to get your values of A. You can use WolframAlpha.

SammyS
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Homework Statement

mmplkx.jpg

I am trying to solve for A but the sine thing has me all screwed up. This isn't for homework but I figured it might be better in this section. I get down to Sin A(4.625A + 171.87) = 229.16

I don't think I did it right at all and if I did I have no idea how to go any farther with it. Thanks for any help you guys might have.
I believe this can only be solved numerically, or graphically.

Like many trig. equations, there are many solutions.

ISX
Well that explains why I couldn't get any further then lol. I can do a trial and error of A and that will be close enough for what I am doing, just figured I would get an exact number but if it will take something like that then I can wing it just as well. It's not something that has to be accurate exactly, it's just something that needs to be under a certain tolerance, as long as what I put in for A makes the output less than the tolerance it will work.

Thanks for the help!

Ray Vickson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed

Homework Statement

mmplkx.jpg

If SIN A means a number SIN times the number A, then you can convert this to a quadratic equation in A and solve it using standard formulas. However, if SIN A means the trigonometric function sin(A), then you have an equation that can only be tackled numerically.

RGV