1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can't solve this equation

1. Dec 24, 2011 #1

ISX

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    mmplkx.jpg

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am trying to solve for A but the sine thing has me all screwed up. This isn't for homework but I figured it might be better in this section. I get down to Sin A(4.625A + 171.87) = 229.16

I don't think I did it right at all and if I did I have no idea how to go any farther with it. Thanks for any help you guys might have.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2011 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

You can't really solve that algebraically unless you know some information about A. But what you can do is use a graph plotter and use that to get your values of A. You can use WolframAlpha.

4. Dec 24, 2011 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I believe this can only be solved numerically, or graphically.

Like many trig. equations, there are many solutions.

5. Dec 24, 2011 #4

ISX

Well that explains why I couldn't get any further then lol. I can do a trial and error of A and that will be close enough for what I am doing, just figured I would get an exact number but if it will take something like that then I can wing it just as well. It's not something that has to be accurate exactly, it's just something that needs to be under a certain tolerance, as long as what I put in for A makes the output less than the tolerance it will work.

Thanks for the help!

6. Dec 27, 2011 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If SIN A means a number SIN times the number A, then you can convert this to a quadratic equation in A and solve it using standard formulas. However, if SIN A means the trigonometric function sin(A), then you have an equation that can only be tackled numerically.

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook