How Do I Solve Sin A(4.625A + 171.87) = 229.16?

• Thread starter ISX
  • Start date
In summary: Golden Ratio. In summary, the student is trying to solve for A but is having difficulty. If sin A means the trigonometric function sin(A), then the equation can only be solved numerically. Otherwise, the student is trying to solve for A using standard formulas.
ISX

Homework Statement

mmplkx.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I am trying to solve for A but the sine thing has me all screwed up. This isn't for homework but I figured it might be better in this section. I get down to Sin A(4.625A + 171.87) = 229.16

I don't think I did it right at all and if I did I have no idea how to go any farther with it. Thanks for any help you guys might have.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't really solve that algebraically unless you know some information about A. But what you can do is use a graph plotter and use that to get your values of A. You can use WolframAlpha.

ISX said:

Homework Statement

mmplkx.jpg

I am trying to solve for A but the sine thing has me all screwed up. This isn't for homework but I figured it might be better in this section. I get down to Sin A(4.625A + 171.87) = 229.16

I don't think I did it right at all and if I did I have no idea how to go any farther with it. Thanks for any help you guys might have.
I believe this can only be solved numerically, or graphically.

Like many trig. equations, there are many solutions.

Well that explains why I couldn't get any further then lol. I can do a trial and error of A and that will be close enough for what I am doing, just figured I would get an exact number but if it will take something like that then I can wing it just as well. It's not something that has to be accurate exactly, it's just something that needs to be under a certain tolerance, as long as what I put in for A makes the output less than the tolerance it will work.

Thanks for the help!

ISX said:

Homework Statement

mmplkx.jpg

If SIN A means a number SIN times the number A, then you can convert this to a quadratic equation in A and solve it using standard formulas. However, if SIN A means the trigonometric function sin(A), then you have an equation that can only be tackled numerically.

RGV

1. What should I do if I can't solve an equation?

First, make sure you understand the problem and the given information. Then, try to break the equation down into smaller parts and solve each part individually. If that doesn't work, try using different methods or techniques such as substitution or elimination. If you're still having trouble, seek help from a teacher or tutor.

2. Is it possible to not be able to solve an equation?

Yes, there are certain types of equations that have no solution or infinite solutions. These are called inconsistent and dependent equations, respectively. Additionally, some equations may have complex solutions that involve imaginary numbers.

3. Why is it important to solve equations?

Solving equations allows us to find the value of unknown variables and understand relationships between different quantities. This is crucial in many fields of science, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It also helps us make predictions and solve real-world problems.

4. Can technology help me solve equations?

Yes, there are numerous tools and software available that can help solve equations. These include graphing calculators, equation solver apps, and online equation solvers. However, it's important to understand the underlying concepts and processes involved in solving equations, rather than just relying on technology.

5. How can I improve my equation solving skills?

Practice is key when it comes to improving equation solving skills. Start with simpler equations and gradually work your way up to more complex ones. It's also helpful to review the different methods and techniques for solving equations, and to seek out additional resources such as textbooks or online tutorials.