Can't solve this integral

• Thread starter KillaKem
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the integral, I, of the given function is \int \frac{dx}{4 - lnx}, which can be expressed in terms of the exponential integral function using the substitution u=4-\ln(x).
KillaKem

Homework Statement

Find the integral, I , of the followin' function.

Homework Equations

[tex]\int \frac{dx}{4 - lnx}[/tex].

3.Attempt

U = sqrt(lnx)
dx = 2xlnx du

Therefore

[tex]\int \frac{2xlnxdu}{4 - U^2}[/tex].

Integration of this f(x) failed

These are all integrals we have dealt with

http://www.mathwords.com/i/integral_table.htm

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
KillaKem said:
Find the integral, I , of the followin' function.

Homework Equations

[tex]\int \frac{dx}{4 - lnx}[/tex].

There is no closed-form solution in terms of elementary functions, but if you use the substitution [itex]u=4-\ln(x)[/itex], you can express the integral in terms of the special function called exponential integral function.

1. Can you explain the steps to solve this integral?

To solve an integral, you need to follow a specific set of steps. First, identify the type of integral (definite or indefinite) and the function being integrated. Then, use appropriate techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions to simplify the integral. Finally, solve the integral by using the fundamental theorem of calculus or other integration rules.

2. Why can't I solve this integral using basic integration rules?

Not all integrals can be solved using basic integration rules. Some integrals require more advanced techniques or multiple steps to solve. It is important to understand different integration methods and when to apply them in order to effectively solve more complex integrals.

3. How can I check if my solution to the integral is correct?

You can check your solution to an integral by differentiating it. If the derivative of your solution is equal to the original function being integrated, then your solution is correct. You can also use online integration calculators to verify your solution.

4. Are there any tips for solving integrals more efficiently?

One tip for solving integrals more efficiently is to practice and familiarize yourself with different integration techniques. Additionally, breaking down the integral into smaller parts and using algebraic manipulations can make it easier to solve. It is also helpful to check your work as you go along to avoid mistakes.

5. What should I do if I am still unable to solve the integral?

If you are unable to solve an integral, it is important to seek help from a tutor, teacher, or online resources. Sometimes, a different perspective or explanation can help you understand the integral better and solve it successfully. It is also important to practice regularly in order to improve your skills in solving integrals.