Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can't stay logged in.

1. Aug 30, 2010 #1
    I'm constantly being logged out of this site. Earlier today I was being asked to login again after about 45 minutes inactivity. Now it seems like it's just a couple of minutes before I get the login prompt again.

Whats going on here?

I know it's not my computer because I use lots of forums and never have this problem anywhere else. Also I am a web developer so I have a deep understanding of cookies and sessions.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2010 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Did you click on the "remember me" box?

4. Aug 30, 2010 #3
    Yes, every time. Just had to log in again to post this.

FYI:
    Safari 4.0.5
    Mac OS 10.5.8
    Private Browsing turned off

Oh wait, this might be the problem:

Accept cookies: Only from sites I visit (block cookies from third parties and advertisers)

But that works everywhere else and I'm loathe to turn it off.

5. Aug 30, 2010 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

That's been the problem before.

6. Nov 29, 2010 #5

Delphi51

Homework Helper

The automatic log off is possibly useful. Sometimes you see a thread where the question asker is online and waiting while the helper is off line. Good to break in and keep the help going in that case? But you won't know the helper is off line if he is on line while sleeping.

To my mind the "remember me" box should remember your username and password and log you in as soon as you come to the site. This is the case in all the other forums I use, but not here.

7. Nov 30, 2010 #6

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My browser settings regarding cookies is to not allow cookies except from the sites I've listed as exceptions. I'm using Firefox. I just needed to add "physicsforums.com" to the exceptions to get the "remember me" box to work properly. It remembers me at least for a few months.

Do regular users (as opposed to science advisors, homework helpers, etc.) really need to allow cookies from other sites just to get "remember me" to work? That would be weird.

8. Nov 30, 2010 #7

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This just started happening to me yesterday as well.

9. Nov 30, 2010 #8

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Check your video drivers, I had to update mine yesterday [Nvidia]. I assure you out of date drivers will cause problems.

10. Dec 1, 2010 #9

Delphi51

Homework Helper

This time I was automatically logged in! I changed nothing. Thank you to whoever did it.

You know, another thing that would be nice in the help forums is a flag visible on the thread listing that indicates "more help, please" which could be set by helper or helpee. Sometimes you get in trouble helping, the original poster is seeking input from more than one person or is just not happy with what he is getting.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook