Constantly Being Logged Out of Site - What is Going On?

• Thread starter AnalogNewb
  • Start date
In summary, the person is constantly being logged out of the site and is not sure why. They have tried different things to get logged in, such as accepting cookies only from sites they visit, but that does not work for everyone. The person also suggested that the automatic log off might be useful.
AnalogNewb
I'm constantly being logged out of this site. Earlier today I was being asked to login again after about 45 minutes inactivity. Now it seems like it's just a couple of minutes before I get the login prompt again.

Whats going on here?

I know it's not my computer because I use lots of forums and never have this problem anywhere else. Also I am a web developer so I have a deep understanding of cookies and sessions.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you click on the "remember me" box?

Evo said:
Did you click on the "remember me" box?

Yes, every time. Just had to log in again to post this.

FYI:
Safari 4.0.5
Mac OS 10.5.8
Private Browsing turned off

Oh wait, this might be the problem:

Accept cookies: Only from sites I visit (block cookies from third parties and advertisers)

But that works everywhere else and I'm loathe to turn it off.

AnalogNewb said:
Yes, every time. Just had to log in again to post this.

FYI:
Safari 4.0.5
Mac OS 10.5.8
Private Browsing turned off

Oh wait, this might be the problem:

Accept cookies: Only from sites I visit (block cookies from third parties and advertisers)

But that works everywhere else and I'm loathe to turn it off.
That's been the problem before.

The automatic log off is possibly useful. Sometimes you see a thread where the question asker is online and waiting while the helper is off line. Good to break in and keep the help going in that case? But you won't know the helper is off line if he is on line while sleeping.

To my mind the "remember me" box should remember your username and password and log you in as soon as you come to the site. This is the case in all the other forums I use, but not here.

My browser settings regarding cookies is to not allow cookies except from the sites I've listed as exceptions. I'm using Firefox. I just needed to add "physicsforums.com" to the exceptions to get the "remember me" box to work properly. It remembers me at least for a few months.

Do regular users (as opposed to science advisors, homework helpers, etc.) really need to allow cookies from other sites just to get "remember me" to work? That would be weird.

This just started happening to me yesterday as well.

Check your video drivers, I had to update mine yesterday [Nvidia]. I assure you out of date drivers will cause problems.

This time I was automatically logged in! I changed nothing. Thank you to whoever did it.

You know, another thing that would be nice in the help forums is a flag visible on the thread listing that indicates "more help, please" which could be set by helper or helpee. Sometimes you get in trouble helping, the original poster is seeking input from more than one person or is just not happy with what he is getting.

1. Why am I constantly being logged out of the site?

There could be several reasons for this issue. It could be due to a glitch in the website's coding, a problem with your internet connection, or an issue with your browser's cookies. It is also possible that the website has a security feature that automatically logs users out after a certain period of inactivity.

2. How can I prevent being logged out of the site?

If the issue is related to your internet connection or browser's cookies, try clearing your browser's cache and cookies. You can also try using a different browser or device to see if the problem persists. If the issue is due to the website's security feature, try being more active on the site or adjusting your account settings to allow for a longer period of inactivity before being logged out.

3. Could this be a security issue?

No, constantly being logged out of a site is not typically a security issue. It is more likely to be a technical issue with the website or your device. However, if you notice any unusual activity on your account, it is always a good idea to change your password and enable any additional security measures offered by the website.

4. Is this a common problem for other users?

This issue may be common for some websites, especially those with strict security measures in place. It is always a good idea to check the website's FAQ or forums to see if other users have experienced similar problems and if there are any known solutions.

5. Can I contact the website's support team for help?

Yes, you can always contact the website's support team for help with this issue. They may be able to provide more specific solutions or troubleshoot the problem from their end. It is also a good idea to provide them with any relevant information, such as the browser and device you are using, to help them better understand the issue.