What Is Psi in Quantum Mechanics?

• Thread starter quawa99
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Psi
In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of wave particle duality experiments and the Schrödinger equation, specifically focusing on the function ##\psi(x,t)## and its relationship to the probability of finding a particle at a certain position and time. The difference between the wave equation and the wave function is also explained, with the latter being specific to quantum mechanics and dealing with complex numbers and probabilities. The importance of understanding measurements and quantum states is emphasized, and the suggestion is made to study the Stern Gerlach experiment to better grasp the concepts.
quawa99
I just started reading the quantum theory.I came across the wave particle duality experiments and just after that the book had the Schrödinger equation.I don't understand what psi is exactly in that equation and what a wave function is and how it differs from a wave equation mathematically.can anyone explain what it is in simple terms please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Which book? You'll get better answers from us if we know which book you're working through.

The function ##\psi(x,t)## is the unknown in the Schrodinger equation. Once you know what it is, ##\psi(x,t)\psi^*(x,t)##) is the probability of finding the particle at position ##x## at time ##t##.

Wavefunction describes the quantum state. When I took my first quantum mechanics course, I had a lot of trouble with stuff so I can probably understand it's ambiguity. So basically, the most important idea of quantum mechanics is measurements and how they change a system. The quantum state describes the information of the given particle i.e. spin. These mathematics behind the wave function deals with complex numbers and probability. The difference between the wave equation and the wave function is that the wave equation describes a wave in classic mechanics and the wave function is quantum mechanics. You get definitive answers through the wave equation, but the wave function has values that are probabilities. Have you studied the Stern Gerlach experiment? Tackling Schrödinger would be a little easier if you have those basics down.

Likes 1 person

1. What is psi?

Psi, also known as psychical phenomena, refers to the purported ability to gain information through means other than the known senses or physical contact. It is often associated with extrasensory perception (ESP) and other paranormal abilities.

2. Can anyone understand what's psi?

The understanding of psi is a controversial topic and there is no consensus among scientists. Some believe that it is a real phenomenon, while others argue that it is simply a result of chance or deception. More research is needed to fully understand the nature of psi.

3. How does psi work?

The mechanism of psi is not fully understood. Some theories suggest that it may be related to quantum mechanics or an unknown psychic energy. However, there is no scientific evidence to support these theories and the exact workings of psi remain a mystery.

4. Is psi the same as telepathy or mind reading?

Psi is a broad term that encompasses various abilities, including telepathy and mind reading. However, it is important to note that these abilities have not been scientifically proven to exist and are still considered paranormal or supernatural by most scientists.

5. Can psi be learned or developed?

There is no scientific evidence to suggest that psi can be learned or developed. While some people claim to have these abilities, there is no consistent or reliable way to test or measure them. Without scientific proof, it is difficult to determine if psi can be learned or developed.