How do I determine the load on a vertical prop in a cantilever beam system?

In summary, a cantilever beam is a structural element that is supported at one end and used in construction for various purposes. It is analyzed using principles of mechanics, and its maximum load depends on factors such as length and material. Different types of loads can act on a cantilever beam, and its deflection can be minimized by increasing its stiffness or using proper support and bracing.
phiska
If i have two cantilever beams with a vertical prop between the free ends as shown in diagram, how do i find the load on the prop?

I have the deflections of the beams to be:

v (top beam)= (PL^3)/(3EI)
v(bottom beam)=(5WL^3)/(48EI)-(PL^3)/(3EI)

the prop is of diameter d, and length a, with youngs modulus E.

Any hints/help appreciated!

Attachments

• Cantilever Beam Question.doc
    23.5 KB · Views: 297
Physics news on Phys.org
Didn't you ask this last week?

No, its a similar example, with the same arrangement but a different question.

This time I'm looking at the load on the prop.

1. What is a cantilever beam?

A cantilever beam is a structural element that is supported at only one end and is free to deflect and rotate at the unsupported end. It is commonly used in construction for bridges, balconies, and roofs.

2. How is a cantilever beam analyzed?

Cantilever beams are analyzed using principles of mechanics, specifically statics and strength of materials. The load and support conditions are considered to determine the stresses and deflections of the beam.

3. What is the maximum load a cantilever beam can support?

The maximum load a cantilever beam can support depends on various factors such as its length, material, and cross-sectional shape. It can be calculated using the beam's moment of inertia and the applied load.

4. What are the different types of loads that can act on a cantilever beam?

The different types of loads that can act on a cantilever beam include point loads, uniformly distributed loads, and concentrated moments. These loads can be either static or dynamic.

5. How can the deflection of a cantilever beam be minimized?

The deflection of a cantilever beam can be minimized by increasing its stiffness, which can be achieved by using a stronger material, increasing its cross-sectional area, or decreasing its length. Proper support and bracing can also help reduce deflection.