What are the variables in the deflection equation for a cantilever beam?

In summary, the conversation is about a person needing help with defining an equation for a lab report. The equation in question is for calculating deflection and it includes variables such as force, elastic modulus, thickness, and height. The person also asks for clarification on the cross-section and moment of inertia. However, another person points out that this conversation should be in the homework section.
jhwatts
I need some help. I writing up a lab report and I am not sure how to define the equtaion i took down in my notes.

deflection = (4F/Ebh^3) * L

Im not sure if this is the right eqution.
If so can some one please tell me what the varibales: E, b, F and h are.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I imagine F = force or load, E = Elastic or Young's modulus.

L is probably length, but the maximum deflection is proportional to the cube of the length.

b might be thickness (lateral), and h might be height.

What is the cross-section and how does one calculate the moment of inertia for this cross-section?

You're in the wrong place. Delete this and put it in the homework section.

Come on... jesus, b-base h-height L-length.

If you don't know what F and E are...sad.

b.t.w. bh^3 looks a lot like MOAI to me.

Last edited:

1. What is a cantilever beam and how does it work?

A cantilever beam is a type of structural element that is supported at one end and free to move at the other end. It works by transferring load from the free end to the supported end, using the principle of bending. The beam is designed to resist bending, shear, and other forces that act on it.

2. What are the applications of cantilever beams?

Cantilever beams are commonly used in architecture, bridges, and building construction, as well as in mechanical and aerospace engineering. They are also used in furniture design, such as in the construction of shelves and wall-mounted desks.

3. How do you calculate the deflection of a cantilever beam?

The deflection of a cantilever beam can be calculated using various equations, such as the Euler-Bernoulli beam theory or the Timoshenko beam theory. These equations take into account factors such as the beam's length, material properties, and applied load to determine the amount of deflection at a given point on the beam.

4. What are the limitations of using cantilever beams?

While cantilever beams have many practical applications, they also have some limitations. These include their susceptibility to buckling under compressive loads, their tendency to deflect more than other types of beams, and their limited range of support compared to other beam types.

5. How can you increase the strength of a cantilever beam?

There are several ways to increase the strength of a cantilever beam, including using stronger materials, increasing the beam's cross-sectional area, or adding additional support at the free end. By increasing the beam's strength, it can withstand higher loads and reduce the risk of failure.