1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cantilever beam

1. Jul 4, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a cantilever beam 5 m long with a mass of 100 N/m carries a concentrated load of 1000 N at its free end. The end of the beam is inserted into a wall 0.5 m thick. What are the reaction on the beam.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

My problem is I cannot imagine the location of the unknown reactions of the beam which is inserted into a wall. Please to identify the location of these reactions so I can start solving.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2012 #2
    can anybody explain it to me?

4. Jul 4, 2012 #3

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There will be a vertical reaction force and a moment (couple) at the wall for which you can solve using the equilibrium equations. Don't get hung up on the wall thickness.

5. Jul 8, 2012 #4
    In practice, the beam reactions each consist of two forces, one up close to the inner wall face, larger than the one down, which is located near the outer wall face. The analysis is equilibrium based but a bit long to explain here, and involves making an assumption about the distribution of pressure between beam and wall. It's an application of the combined stress formula N/A +- M/Z.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook