Cantilever Deflection: Equation for Uniform Load

In summary, a cantilever is a type of structure that is supported at one end and extends freely into space, unlike other structures that are supported at both ends. Deflection is the amount of bending or displacement that occurs in a structure when a load is applied, and it is important in cantilever structures as it can affect their stability and strength. The deflection in a cantilever structure can be calculated using the equation: D = (5wL^4)/(384EI), where D is the deflection, w is the applied load, L is the length of the cantilever, E is the modulus of elasticity, and I is the moment of inertia. This equation also applies to uniform load in cantilever
Quickdry135
It's been a while since I've studied mechanics. Would someone remind me as to the equation for the deflection of a cantilever beam with a uniformly distributed load on only a part of the beam? I remember the equation for a load on the entire beam is (wL^4)/(8EI)

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

The equation for the deflection of a cantilever beam with a uniformly distributed load on only a part of the beam is (wL^4)/(24EI) where w is the load per unit length, L is the length of the beam, E is the Young's modulus of the material, and I is the moment of inertia of the beam's cross-sectional area. This equation assumes that the load is applied at the free end of the beam and that the beam is simply supported at the other end.

I hope this helps refresh your memory on cantilever deflection equations. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is a cantilever and how does it differ from other structures?

A cantilever is a type of structure that is supported at only one end, with the other end extending freely into space. This differs from other structures, such as beams or columns, which are supported at both ends.

2. What is deflection and why is it important in cantilever structures?

Deflection is the amount of bending or displacement that occurs in a structure when a load is applied. In cantilever structures, deflection is important because it can affect the overall stability and strength of the structure.

3. How is deflection in a cantilever structure calculated?

The deflection in a cantilever structure can be calculated using the equation: D = (5wL^4)/(384EI), where D is the deflection, w is the applied load, L is the length of the cantilever, E is the modulus of elasticity, and I is the moment of inertia.

4. What is the equation for uniform load in cantilever deflection?

The equation for uniform load in cantilever deflection is: D = (5wL^4)/(384EI), where D is the deflection, w is the applied load per unit length, L is the length of the cantilever, E is the modulus of elasticity, and I is the moment of inertia.

5. How does changing the length or load affect the deflection in a cantilever structure?

As the length of the cantilever increases, the deflection also increases. Similarly, increasing the load applied to the cantilever will result in a larger deflection. This relationship is described by the cantilever deflection equation.